Squier VM Jazz V (B String)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, May 4, 2012.

1. Specifically, I want to know how the B string is on this bass. I'm thinking of picking up an inexpensive 5 string. So, anyone who owns or has owned this bass, lemme know how the B is..

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Hi man,
    don't know at you's, but here in Italy the Vintage Modified V flew just a few months ago.

I once owned a 4er that I almost immediately replaced w/a Classic Vibe: it sported, at least mine, a weak neck and poor sounding pickups (Duncan "Designed") Now I managed to by another one, used, to turn it to a reseller friend of mine, to get the one I let go, now equipped w/Praha 21 fret neck and original Bartolini Jazz singles.

In another music shop over here I happened to try the Vintage Modified V.
    I dunno why, but the neck was, oh yes simple but, still, functioning and correctly resounding. And the pickups, the same ol' Duncan "Designed", this time really focused and effective.

So: it's not one of my basses, as the past 4er was but, just from a proficient try out, I can warmly suggest it to you:hyper:

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Based (sorry) on my experience with the squier active 5. I would not hesitate to buy one.

The Squier single coil pickups sound really, really good. IMHO

As far as the B string goes...it sounds like a typical Fender B string. Not exceptional but serviceable. You could hope to get lucky and get a great one but even the bad ones are far from bad. IMHO

For the money, they are untouchable. IMHO

4. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough.

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I've been looking at these as well for the same reason. I wish more stores locally carried them.
    Anyone else have experiences with these?

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Man,
    I'm with you, but the bass you have is way different from the Vintage Modified.
    There you find a good maple body and some, let's say, "good looking" solutions.

I tried, same occasion, the active deluxe V too...
    Yours are very different pickups from the Vintage Modified. The electronic on your bass is very good for the price and surely better than passive Duncan Designed singles.

You even got a strong himass bridge: this is not the case with the Vintage Modified. And, even if your bass sports a basswood body, which is not bad at all, is no poor quality.

The B string is a bit poor, but IMHO on your active V only, because of the ebonol fingerboard, less defined than maple.

Just that.
    Otherwise, the active deluxe V is a different bass from the Vintage Modified. I mean: you can keep it the way it is or upgrade it, if you will. The Vintage Modified "needs" to be upgraded.

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. The Thinker

The Thinker

Sep 17, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I bought a VM Jazz V and returned it. The B was fine--very good, in fact. But the nut was cut too high, the fret ends were sharp (how I missed that in the store I'll never know) and it was very heavy. Also, I found the sound didn't have a lot of cut in a live mix--although that really could have been a setup issue. I didn't fiddle with the pickup/string height very much because of the other issues.

I bought a cheaper Squier Affinity J V instead, and it's terrific. The B is excellent--as good or better than the VM, and the bass doesn't have the other problems I had with the VM. I gigged it recently and it was great. The pickups are not the best (actually, the bridge pickup sounds great, but the neck pup lacks clarity) but not so bad that I feel the need to change them any time soon.

7. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough.

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I just bought one thru Amazon.
    I watched a few videos on YouTube and decided it would be worth a try. If its got fret end problems or issues I can address them, if its too bad I can return it and I'm out nothing. It should arrive Monday.

8. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    I bought one and returned it. Heavy as hell, floppy B string, pickups were just OK.

9. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough.

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Stock string was a little loose (floppy) at first. After a truss rod adjustment it was a little better but not by much. I replaced the stock strings with Ernie Ball Cobalts and the B is pretty tight now, better than I've found on a lot of mid-range priced basses. They are higher tension strings with a good bit more output and it makes them more sensitive.
    I did a mini review here you can check out if you want more detail about the bass.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021