1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Squier VMFJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LKdubby, Mar 18, 2008.

1. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I've just made arrangements to go check out one of these on Thursday morning.

I found it on CL and offered 175$ for it. The owner has this to say about it:

I played one of these at a pawn shop and liked it. However it had fretboard damage from roundwound strings being scratched across it and the pawnshop guy was asking brand new prices for it... I figured that if he wouldn't budge on that price then it would be stupid to buy it vs. a new one without any damage..

Either way though, I'm going to look at this one on Thursday. I'm still an amateur bassist in a very experimental phase and one of these Squier's are not only in my price range, but also felt pretty decent whey playing on it.. I like the fretless sound, always have. And this bass was comfortable in my hands..

Just thought I'd share. :D

I'll post pics if I end up getting this bass. I have a good feeling about it though. I haven't been able to get the VMFJ out of my head since I played it at that pawn shop! And now I've found one willing to be sold for $175 vs $250 at pawn!

2. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Great deal, buy it. I just got back from band practice, and left my MIA Fenders home, and just played my VM Fretless. It's a solid bass!!

3. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    played one at my local music store. i didnt get a chance to plug it in, but it felt and played extremely nice.

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    $175???? Jump on it!

great way to get into fretless....if I could find one used for $150 or so, I would be all over it....(then I would "trade up" to a fretless JO etc)

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Very decent price. I've try one in the shop over here in UK. Didn't expect the Squire will be this good. Nice mellow sound and Nice jazz growl sound when you mess around with the pickup volume. Also the pickup is quite, i can't hear any hum when i switch to either pickup. They probably shield it nicely so can't hear any hum.

6. There shouldn't really be any noticable marks from the roundwound strings, since it's Ebonol.

7. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    The neck does get finish marks from any string, RW or flat. It doesn't in any way hurt the neck or impair tone or playability.

8. From experience this is not true I'm afraid. The Rounds still mark the ebanol board on my VM. Nothing major but don't expect to have a perfectly smooth, clean FB after having used rounds on one.

I'd take a photo but I have the neck all masked up for lacquering the headstock...I severely miss playing it already :(

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

BTW, This bass sounds much better with rounds than flats IMO.

10. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    All I can say is the one at the pawn shop had used roundwounds on it, and big scratches across the FB. I did a search when I got home to find out opinions about this and I read that this isn't that uncommon..

I had a feeling that even flats would make some kind of mark. Physics seems to dictate that when rubbing two surfaces together for an extended period of time you will end up with some kind of buffing or scratching occuring.. Noticeable marks..

I guess a vintage Fender with marks, scratches, dents would be called "a bass with mojo". But I think with an inexpensive Squier that I'd rather put my own scratches on it if I had to buy it at brand new prices!

11. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    That's interesting to note. Maybe when I try flats on my Schecter I can put the old rounds on the Squier..

Of course, I have to buy the Squier first....

QUESTION FOR ANYONE:
    Is it ok to take used strings from one bass and put them on another? I'm sure it would be, but I don't want to assume and make some error without asking first....

Hmmm, If it is ok then maybe I can just switch the set of strings between the two basses.. Except.. The Squier is only a 4 and my Schec is a 5.. I'd have to pick up an extra string somewhere.. And one new string and four old ones probably wouldn't sound right together.. So who knows...

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I have one of those basses strung with rounds and it's fantastic. I really do give a heart recommendation to these basses, they are great! :)

13. GaryLC

GaryLC

Apr 6, 2006
    Scotia, NY
    I concur, just bought one from The Perfect Bass, ~$250 shipped with TalkBass discount, and it's beautiful! I'm keeping rounds on it also, plays like butter...

14. Yes, I recycle old rounds all the time. For when I need that flat type tone. I have a set of flats on my VM but they're expensive so I only have one set. I think they'll last forever though :)

15. at $175 i'd consider buying one and doing a lefty flip on it.

16. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    is that actually a vm sqiuer i thought they had block inlays ? plus were maple?

17. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    This is the fretless one, there's another one like you described that is not fretless.

18. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    cool didn't know they look diff thanks man! looks sweet tho im considering getting the vm p in bout 4 months?

19. rhp335

rhp335

Aug 3, 2006
    Kansas City
    Yer' gonna love it, I picked one up last year on the cheap and it's a great playing and sounding bass, nice way to get into fretless.

1528504450_78a13dd8f3_o.

I've put rounds on mine and can't see any significant scratches, and that's with my 17 year old son banging away at it most the time.

YMMV