Staccato with bow???

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by TenorClef, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Can some one explain to me exactly how you play notes staccato with a bow, you know the notes that have the little dot above them. I figure i understand it's not the same as spicatto where the bow kinda hits the string for a percussive effect. So what exactly do you do to distingiush it is staccato, also if two notes share a tie but both notes also have dots above them now thats really confusing!
  2. mazaremba

Apr 15, 2004
    Staccato notes are notes that have space in between, that create a short sounding effect. Are you playing a certain piece or just learning to play these notes?...if you tell us that we could tell you the right way to play these, because there are different styles to do them.
  3. Its for an exam i'll be doing in about 4 weeks time.(the piece Schubert's Entr'acte-Incidental Music to Rosamunde) Occasionally above certain notes the dots are their for staccato i assume by space then the bow grinds to a halt on the string or is played very short to create the effect of staccato. How would this apply if their are two notes both tied together with a slur but also having a dot above each note?
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It should sound the same. The tie indicates that they are played on the same bow. It's a little trickier but basically the same concept.
  5. Thanks those little tip bits, they have really very useful and much appreciated! :)