Stack... 1x15 and/or 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by appler, Dec 24, 2003.

1. appler

appler Guest

I'm putting together my first rig and I already have the head. Most full stacks I see have a 4x10 cabinet and a 1x15 cabinet. Assuming I can only afford/have a use for a half-stack, should I get the 4x10 or the 1x15? I know that the 4x10 is obviously more punchy and the 1x15 will have more low end, but which makes more sense?
  2. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    my vote would be 4x10...but I'm biased toward 10" speakers...less muff more punch. And a decent 4x10 cab will give you more than enough bottom end to go with the punch.

good luck!
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You would go with the 410. It will be more punchy and, contrary to your belief, it will have more bottom than a 115 (assuming you're getting cabinets of decent quality). The 15 will add more low mid (what I call muff) and generally fill out the sound. I own an Eden D-115XL, and virtually never use it on stage. I use either a D-410XLT, a D-210XLT, or both. This weekend, it'll just be the WT-800 bridged into the D-410XLT.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    As usual, Munji hits the nail squarely on the head. A 4x10 will generally give you more volume AND more low end than a 1x15, at least on stage. A 15 will throw lows farther out into the back of a room, if that's important to you. But if you use a PA for bass support, you don't want that anyway. If you're just getting one cab right now, I say definitely go for the 4x10.
  5. For a first cab, I think you will be far more happy with a 4x10 than you would with a commercial 1x15. The 4x10 is much louder and has more punch than the average 1x15.

I advise you NOT to buy a run of the mill 1x15 if you want real bottom. Spend some decent money and get a GOOD 15" or 18" if you want big bottom. No Eden, no SWR, no Fender, etc. Add a 1x15 or 1x18 as a 2nd cab that you can take with, or leave home, as needed.

I find most 4x10, including the D410-XLT, to be gutless wonders in the bottom end. Their prime claim to fame is being loud. Yes, 10" drivers have more punch than the large drivers, but they have no bottom. 10's are not muff, they are wimp in the bottom end. If you want both punch and bottom, you have to have both 10s and 15/18s.

6. appler

appler Guest

Thanks for the advice guys! One more thing... Everyone's talking about those Avatar cabinets, and I love the price, but the website says, "The four 10's combined are rated at 1400 WATTS RMS." My amp only puts out like 120 watts at 8 ohms (I want to add a second cabinet later; my head runs full power at 4 ohms) Obviously 120 watts is nowhere near 1400 watts. Does that mean I can't use that particular cabinet? Should I be looking for something with the same power rating as the amp? Thanks again, everybody.
  7. as for the underpoweing the amp it does not matter some people say that you wont get the full punchiness of the cab running that many watts through it but i personally dont have the expericence to verify that. But from what i have read it does not matter if u have 50 or 1500 watts running into taht cab as long as u dont clip the power amp. if the power amp starts clipping you are pushing it to hard and you may fry the cabinet. again i dont know the technical part of this but thats waht i understand. so in short get the avatar cab u will be happy.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a silly post.