Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stack or combo to save up for

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicaorion, Jul 8, 2005.

1. metallicaorion

metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL
    Hey,

I have my rig that will last me until i am probly 16-17. its a behringer bx1200. i am looking for something that i can start to save up for that will deliver the best sound but that a teen can afford at 16-17. i would perfer a combo if possible because its more portable. i want some reccomendation for a stack or combo 300-350 watt+ that is high quality and sounds awesome with a 5 string. if you guys think it will be better if i had a stack tell me some good stacks for under 800. not a huge fan of behringer alluminum cone speekers.

Matt~

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    From your profile I've seen you're 14 now, why step up to a rig that you'll only have to replace again? When I turned 15 I bought myself the nicest GK rig a grand could buy, and I'm almost obsoleting it wattage-wise. Wait until you NEED to buy it and buy the loudest thing you can afford, don't limit yourself on the price otherwise you'll want soon after.

3. metallicaorion

metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL
    good advice but i was very limited on money then and i got it for $106. i couldent pass it up becasue i needed a new combo cuz the crate i had sounded like ass and was terrible. guitar center stupidly bought it off me for about 100 bucks. i couldent pass it up. then i got 400 dollars for a new bass 2 weeks later. i wish i would have known how much cash i would have had. i went to gc like a week ago and the amp i sold them sounded worse. but if you had to reccomend saving up for an amp what would u get i was looking at a kustom 600 watt combo.

Attached Files:

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Trust me, skip the loud combos. A head/cab setup would be much better in the long run as you can upgrade one part at a time as opposed to the whole thing at once, you can mix and match cabs depending on venue, and frankly, they're much easier to transport.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    +1

Plus, barring how the next 2-3 years go, you could land an Avatar and a Kustom Groovebass for cheap. By then, you will find the Groovebass used, which will be simply awesome power for even cheaper.

6. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Exactly.

Buy something thats going to last. Don't settle for second best.

7. +2 learn from our mistakes. you will outgrow a combo. and you will save money in the long run if you just wait and get the best thing available.