1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stacking rack bags?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Mar 8, 2008.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    haha

ok well..here's the deal.
    i currently use a 8 space shock case with wheels holding my crest ca9, eden nav, furman PC, x2 wireless and rack tuner, all in 1 shot.

i'm considering splitting these things into 3 seperate rack bags.

1- 2 space to hold the ca9

2- 4 space for eden nav, power conditioner and tuner

3- 2 space for wireless and ?

do these things stack well? i was thinking of making a custom strap system so they could be tightened down against the cab using something like back pack straps and clips.

its mostly for ease of carrying, packing, etc.

what rack cases do you guys recomend? i like the warwick/ gator/ pro tec, rondo has some, but they are just velcro'd lids..

suggestions? thoughts?

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    no dice i guess

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    With the CA9, I wouldn't trust the bag's strap to hold up over time; and if you're carrying a bag by the handles, you might as well have a light case.

That done, you should be able to stack the other gear on top of the Crest in two rack bags as you describe. I've occasionally stacked a couple of Pro-Tec 2 and 3 space bags with no problems.

4. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    u dont think the ca9 will hold up in a bag eh?

i think its only 40 lbs or something

5. Just for interest why bags instead of cases? I know where you are coming from. I too built a rig much like yours into a 12 space rack case. Trying to lift it - I thought I'd screwed the damn thing to the garage floor. I ended up using a pair of SKB four space cases. One holds the power amp (leaves lots of room for cooling) and the other holds everything else. When loading in/out the two cases balance each other nicely.

Paul

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Aguilar sells a rack bag for carrying the DB750 which should be close in weight to the CA9.

I personally like rack bags. ;)

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    ikinda want rack bags because they look nicer imo, can carry over shoulder, blah blah

who makes the aguilar bags?

it has to be deep because the ca9 is a deep amp

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    UGH!! lugging a +40 pound amp over your should doesn't sound like fun!

The Aguilar bags look like ProTec bags. It seems that no one makes a bag that would fit my Stewart WT2.1 so I had to go with a Gator rack for that.

I like the rack bags since they don't beat your legs up if you are carrying them like the plastic ice chest boxes seem to do.

9. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    A hybrid hardish/softish case you could wear like a school bag would be pretty cool. I'd find that useful even for smallish trips.

10. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i found a pic of tom bowlus's ca9 in a rack bag.

The%20Collection1.

here it is, frmo the back too

111_1123.

what is it?

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I assume you want the bag so you can use the shoulder strap, no? I've had strap seams and hardware give out over time on gig bags, messenger bags, and the like.

The bag itself should be fine, but I'd worry about the strap eventually letting go -- likely when you have both hands full of other gear and can't adjust to catch your CA9 as it drops to the pavement, down stairs, and/or on your foot. :help:

12. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i want the soft rack bags so when i put them in my car they dont scratch it up either. ( a lease)haha

i've had the hard plastic cases in the past. to me, imo they look/feel cheap no matter how durable they actually are.

13. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Rack bags are usefull , I dig them alot.
    I like to use couple of 'em instead of big racks when I do remote recordings.

Some of'em have pockets on top to put IAC cable & stuff, be sure that the bottom ones (CA9) don't have pockets , they'll stack better.

14. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    does anyone have experience with the warwick rock bags?