1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stage presence + metal + shy guy = :-( ???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Colonel_Claypoo, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    hello fellow members,

i'm in some sort of crisis, i might say.

i play metal which is very agressive and whenever i see other musicians that go nuts on stage, i ask myself:
    is it really what makes a good show? is that what people want to see at a live show or what is it?

what is stage presence? i think it's not neccessarily being agressive, jumping and running around on stage.

i'm looking for a way how i can feel good and look good on stage despite being a person who is very calm inside and can't translate the music's aggression into an agressive live performance. furthermore, i have the urge to play as good as i can and i can only do so if i'm not making crazy moves and stuff.
    if, after a gig, i'm not content with my performance, it was not a good gig for me.

just looking for some input from you guys.

what tips can you give me?

thanks in advance.:hyper:

2. fender_funk_man

fender_funk_man

Feb 19, 2009
    metal is a interesting genre for this problem. Image is a huge part of metal, the best tip i got for you is a good power stance and let your playing speak for itself.

3. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Or put on a mask and adopt a persona ala Buckethead. Could do wonders.

4. well you say your a steve harris fan, (which i am too!). i play a ton of iron maiden, metallica, and other stuff that i would consider to be aggressive. i have to both sing and play bass which comes pretty natural to me but i often too think what can i do to make this performance better?? i think its all just about being confident and showing who you are onstage. for me during things like work or school i always am just dying to get onstage and show who i really am! you just gotta show that what your doing is what you were born to do! if your a calm dude you dont have to force yourself to be aggressive, just be yourself and people will dig it:cool:
    T

5. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    thanks!

yeah, steve is my idol although i know i won't ever have his immense stage presence.
    i can't just flip a switch and be someone else. however, as you pointed out, that might not be neccessary. just be you and be confident is what you're saying?

so conveying confidence is a key element.
    power stance, is another. how about mean faces, headbangig, jumping, kicking, screaming etc?

6. I Can Do a mean Power stance.

I Tend To Get on the Edge Of The Stage, Get As Close to the audience as humanely possible, grin a lot when i mess up so it is not noticeable, Stand on my Monitor, & Skulk Around.

Just Remember that you have to over elaborate everything you do so that it will be noticed by the audience.

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Depends on the music

modern metal is all energy

I'm not one for jumping around, but I don't play metal and the stuff I play I don't have the time to jump around and make faces..I need to worry about my lines. So if your playing something you can be animated with do so. Thing is with metal bands...I always get the impression they are all trying too hard..if the music is good, the band doesn't need to put on a bunch of theatrics. But...you stil have to be entertaining.

8. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    My answer? Yes.

My motto is jumps over chops. I know I am going to get hated on for saying it, but the rock audience loves it. I have unplugged myself TWICE on stage from running around like crazy. I was the only guitar player, so without me there was a huge volume drop, but I played it up and the crowd loved it.

My advice? Don't try to be something that you are not. You don't need to be Ted Nugent, but don't be a statue either. Walk up to the singer every now and then and play your bass with attitude.

9. I headbang and the like on stage but id rather deliver a sound sonic performance than throw myself about and sound like crap.Opeths Martin Mendez is known for his little stage presence, just bobbing his head, but its all good because he delivers sonically.

being in a modern metal (metalcore) band i do know the pressures from band mates saying "get into it" but much rather nail the technical bass parts and thrash about when i feel i can.

10. I understand the shyness dilemma. I've had stage fright since the first time I got on stage. Luckily for me I have long hair so when I first started doing shows I would just head bang and let my hair hang in front of my face. Now, it's like i'm a whole different person on stage. I let all my emotions just run wild so I'm up on stage singing along, headbanging, running around and generally being a madman without messing up any of my bass lines. And I think that's a crucial part, start small. Do little things like power stances and head banging that'll let you still play the parts without screwing up. Then, when you got that down, just start letting loose little by little. Before you know it you have everyone and their brother trying to jump on stage at shows to tell you how awesome you are.

11. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    We play bass, man... Nobody notices. :p

12. Well that worked for KISS, and a LOT of others,,, but if it ain't you, do not force it. Be yourself. Let the music do the talking. Look at legends like John Entwistle, they played outrageously, yet stood pretty much still the whole time. Do what ever feels natural to YOU. If just playing excellent bass is what you are about, DO IT.

13. I would say let the music be the priority. its gotta sound good overall.
    I myself tend to jump around a lot, but only if I feel it you know? like if the music tells you to go a little crazy then do it! doesnt have to be scissor kicks but there ain't nothing wrong with a little head bobbing.

14. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Do Trujillo's retarded caveman thing.

15. That really does not even work for him in my opinion. Hopefully one day he will realize that bass face is an art. Being a caveman trying to take a crap is not.

16. i feed off the energy of the audience, i kinda just let myself go. especially in metal, there literally isn't a point in which some combo of stage moves isn't cool. I play ambient rock and i do guitar flips and stuff and i've never felt like im over-showing.

17. the music should be able to guide you in your stage approach. let it take over you and let it guide you. i almost gaurentee that it will help you in stage presence. Also, put your heart into it, if that is where it lies. part of the beauty of music is letting it (or her if you have read Wooten's book, which I highly recommend) control you and take you somewhere. thats my .02

18. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    How many people actually recognize Entwistle's name?

I love the Who!!! Daltrey, Townsend, Keith Moon, they all rocked!!! Bass player? They had a bass player?

19. D-Mill

D-Mill

Oct 16, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    If the crowd actually cares about music, all the jumping shouldn't matter to them. However, if it's one of those things where all the kids in town show up just because there's nothing to else to do (like most of the shows I've had the misfortune of attending), then to hell with the music. Like Lefty Geek mentioned, I've watched bassists (using the term loosely) play entire sets unplugged, and the crowd does go wild.

20. I have the stage presence of a tree.