1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Standard Jazz Licks

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by footprints89, Apr 2, 2013.

1. I'm currently going through Aebersold's Miles of Modes book to help with my improv. As I play, I'm partially memorizing the scale, and partially trying to make good licks. I know the key is to transcribe what other players have played, but I was curious if anyone knew of any sites that displayed standard licks? I just want something to help me get the hang of the language before I jump in. Thanks in advance!

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Tthe key is to transcribe what other players have played. Oh, you said that.

Find some 'licks' that you like. Listen to them. Transcribe them. Analyze them. Play them in as many keys as you can. Incorporate them into your soloing.

If you are too lazy to transcribe, or you're looking for a short-cut, there are many transcribed solos all over the internet.

If that's the case, you'll still need to: Listen to them. Analyze them. Play them in as many keys as you can. Incorporate them into your soloing.

Forget the chord-scale bit. You'll end up playing scales, up and down, for your improvisations, which won't really be improvisations.

This is a very lengthy process.

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Short answer to your question -- Jerry Coker.
    Slightly longer answer -- Bert Ligon.
    Not necessarily a recommendation or endorsement (for whatever that would be worth from me), and definitely not a substitute for the above process.

4. tmntfan

tmntfan

Oct 6, 2011
    Edmonton canada
    there is tonnes of stuff out there on how to work on soloing, do a Google search of how to play over giant steps then apply the same idea's to other songs.

oh yeah, and listen/transcribe. Nothing you do will help more then this.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    FIFY. ;)

6. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    What do you mean licks? You only need one lick:

The Lick

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, but what do you do for the next 36 choruses?

8. OK, this made me smile so hard, my face is hurting.

9. peri75

peri75

Sep 26, 2009
    Athens , Greece
    This may help:http://www.bopland.org/search

10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Greg Fishman's sax book "hip licks" is just that. Very good learning tool.

11. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    You keep trying until you get it right.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That must be from your book HOW TO SOUND LIKE A TENOR PLAYER...

13. Joe Hakim

Joe Hakim Guest

Nov 29, 2005
    NJ/NY
    No wonder it takes four years to graduate music school.

14. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    Not necessarily four years:

Josephine and Daphne (in Some Like it Hot), graduated from the Sheboygan Conservatory of Music in only a year. How, you ask? "Time off for good behavior".

Cheers,

Paul (eh_train)

15. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Here is a cool site my friend showed me, just type in the progression you're trying to play over and it gives you a few ideas.

http://www.bopland.org/search

16. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

Jan 29, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Why would you want to play licks? Fear of actually having to create something new and personal?

17. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    same reason someone would want to learn words, rather than typing like this: khfaieiovnnv kjdooie until they come up with a sentence. nothing wrong with expanding your knowledge and vocabulary even though people will try to put you down for it. just ask coltrane. licks are tools to help reach a goal, not a goal in themselves.

18. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Yeah it's about learning a language. I think there is a good way and a bad way to learning and using licks.

Example:

Bad way: stringing a bunch of licks together to form a solo. It's like writing a paragraph using randomly selected phrases from an encyclopedia. Sounds like random nonsense (because it is random nonsense!!!)

Good way: internalizing the sound, timbre, timing, rhythm of a sequence of notes. Understanding where they fall in the beats of a bar, how they resolve, and how they're used motivically. Then, to borrow from Warne Marsh and those from the Tristano school, completely forget about it as if you're planting a seed in your subconscious that will grow out in a solo sometime much later.

19. OmNomNom

OmNomNom

Jul 10, 2011
    Wilmington, DE
    Great analogy!