1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stanley Clarke - "Captain Marvel"

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Phil Smith, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I was just listening to this track and my gosh, Stanley is just burning on this thing. Was he using low action back then? This is a recording back in 1972 where he was a ripe old age of 21, simply amazing.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, that track is pretty ridiculous. Everybody burns on that one.

I remember reading an article once in which Stanley was talking about an instance where Anthony Jackson was messing around with Stan's bass. Stanley said "Man, you should play upright!", to which Anthony replied, "If I could find one that plays this easily, I probably would".....so I'd guess that Stanley's setup was pretty low at that time.

Sam Sherry should be checking in momentarily...

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Whah? Hunh? Did someone say, "Stan?"

Light As A Feather was one of the first ten or so records I bought when I picked up the Plank around 1974. Lucky me!

I still listen to it from time to time. (Just popped it in, in your honor.) The reasons I suspect that the action wasn't super-low on that record are:
    a) The tone sounds mic'ed;
    b) He bows cleanly; and
    c) When he's walking on You're Everything he is seriously digging in.

I suspect that it's moderate action but low tension. Or just a 21-year-old monster's utter joy and lack of fear.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Here's cool video with Stan, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock and Omar Hakim.

5. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    That's a great video. Thanks Phil.
    Two things I notice:
    1. very light right hand finger action
    2. very low strings.

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow................

I need to go practice haha

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D Agreed...

8. pbzep0670

pbzep0670

Dec 2, 2004
    Harriman, TN
    He's one of the best doublers, IMO.

9. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Maybe I'm prejudiced cause I'm from Philly, but I think Stanley is one of the best bass players ever.

I saw him at Newport two years ago and he is still smokin, especially on upright.

10. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I once heard a great recording of Stanley and Cecil McBee playing duet.....

11. Phil, thanks so much for that link. What a fantastic lineup, what fantastic music. Man, why isn't this band still doing stuff. 1991. I know I know, they are all names, and the money probably wouldn't be there, but goddam, it should be.

12. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, those cats can wail for sure. Stanley used to say in his interviews that after he joined Chick's group, he felt that ANYTHING that he WANTED to do with his music and bass playing was possible. That being said, it would make sense that he would be playing that kind of music now, and with that group people, if he wanted to. That would include this session group from 1991, I suppose. But the beauty of this music making we are involved in seems to be that the best and most lasting creations always to happen out of "need" rather than "want". Tell me if I'm wrong, but Chick's music and group with Stanley always seemed to have a big connection to the philosophy of L. Ron Hubbard and the Church of Scientology. I wasn't ever comfortable with that fact, so I never got into the feel of the music very much. I've kept my distance because of it. Maybe Stanley isn't part of that mind anymore? Maybe he doesn't want or need to repeat himself? I don't know. Just thinking it out, trying to answer your question. Stanley is a helluva bassist and musician in any case.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I remember Stanley saying something funny in an interview, shortly after he left Chick. As great as the experience was for him, he said that it was a relief knowing that, during the course of a concert, there wasn't something just around the corner that he could barely play.

14. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, I think I remember that interview as well. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that all those mind blowing, chop bustin' tunes would wear on the tendons after awhile. Even on the Light as a Feather album, I always thought that Stanley sounded like he was floundering and flopping around a bit. So the mind wants to be unlimited in the execution of music, but the body needs to rebel, because it hasn't been prepared for the challange, the dynamic range the intellect needs to hear for the music, no? Body and mind in conflict is a good recipe for tendonitis.

15. Wasn't that a Norman Conners album? The two of them sounded great on that recording. Anyone know what Cecil is doing nowadays?

Kneehimiah
    www.ramonpooser.com

16. I love stanley but I must say his intonation is a bit shotty in that video. The playing is amazing though.

17. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I've never known what session the recording was from, so thanks for the tip! What year is that record from? I dig Cecil McBee, though I haven't been up on his career and all.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Wow, Ramon...good memory! I think the album was called "Dance Of Magic". I haven't heard that one in years.

19. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Mr. McBee was playing with a little outfit called "Saxophone Summit" with MBrecker, Lovano, Liebman, Billy Hart et al. He also toured for a while with The Three Altos including Vincent Herring and I think maybe Greg Osby. Aside from that, he's teaching at NEC in Boston, and still has his place in NYC and his spot in Maine.

I can't say enough nice things about Cecil McBee as a player, patient teacher and human.

20. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    You're always going to find those issues live since there's no do over but you also hear it on records too. I was listening to Miles "Live in Stockholm" and Paul Chambers fumbles over the signature line after all of the solo's, there are countless other examples...