1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stanley Clarke - Time Exposure

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by James Hart, Mar 14, 2008.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    This was one of the most influential albums to my early playing. This was my initial 'slap / chord / fingerstyle / lead' rolled in one outlook as a bassist... I knew of a couple tunes of his, but this was the 'current' release at that point in time.

41TKMM1YTAL._SS500_.

Amazon link

I've been watching for a copy on CD and only seen $30+ prices... I paid mall prices for the vinyl, to replace it on CD for more than the going rate has been out of the question. I broke down last night and bought the 'MP3' version of it.

:bassist: Stanley Clarke IS the man... tone, attitude, groove, etc. Sure it's got a whole lot of 80's cheese... but the bass is still some of my favorite examples.

Anyone else dig this release?

2. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    +1 to everything you said. This was a main influence on my playing too, at a time when everyone else I knew wanted to listen to zeppelin oldies or whatever big hair band was popular at the moment. Serious vocal cheese but worth any price for the bass playing. It still has my favorite sounding piccolo solos ever. Stanley is the man for sure.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I liked it back in the day. I felt it was a step below Stanley Clarke, Journey to Love, and School Days, but Time Exposure certainly seems to get a lot of love from TB'ers. Maybe it is time for me to give it another listen?

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still have Time Exposure on LP. Anyway, too Pop for my Stanley tastes back in the day. It's been 20+ years since I last spun it.
    Stanley Clarke, Jouney To Love, & even School Days were "it" for me.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Like I was trying to say... I knew a couple tunes of his prior to that trip to the mall. I bought his "new" album (yes it was the vinyl) first. I do prefer some of his other discs, but the blend of Stanley & pop on Time Exposure really was a lightbulb moment for my playing :)

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Same here!!!!! David Sancious guitar work on Journey To Love still blows me away, electrifying! I've noticed they are re-releasing most of Stanley's catalog next month, I don't know if it's a remastered/bonus songs deelio or what.

7. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    +10000000000 for both Time Exposure and David Sancious!!! Stanley is slapping his Alembic into delerium on "Future Shock" and his solo is, well, typical Stanley mastery!!!. David Sancious, an incredible keyboard player as well, was ridiculous on "Concerto for Jazz/Rock Orchestra"-probably my favorite guitar solo of all time!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A big chunk of the conventional slapping on Time Exposure was done by Louis Johnson, like it was on "We Supply" on Rocks, Pebbles, and Sand.

9. I only got this one on vinyl and I haven't seen it cheap on CD either. It also has plenty of Louis Johnson on it giving some high energy playing. Not my favorite Stanley Clarke album, but still pretty good. I honestly haven't listened to it in months though.

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    It's way overdue for a "Land of Ladies" remake.

11. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    this LP was really a sign of a woeful fusion music industry at the time, even the mighty Stanley couldn't resist, vision not strong enough and the need to sell into the current niche

the tone is no where near as magical as his early efforts, and certainly the song writing is pretty uninspired, the keys and drums are really sad

I guarantee you if you go to Stanley's house he will not say , "hey check out this awesome LP I put out in the 80's ..."

Rick James probably got a big kick that his popularity was enough to force a titan like Stanley in this direction

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Stanley actually claimed in Musician magazine when interviewed about Rock Pebbles and Sand and Time Exposure that the reason fusion was waning was that the quality musicians had all split into solo projects. And that their weren't enough good players to maintain the same quality level. I think his observation was onto something, but to me it wasn't a question of musicianship as much as creative song writing abilities and the ability to lead a band with taste. Their were still plenty of guys around who could blow over changes, but not all of the solo artist could write those changes with a great melody. It's interesting how many of the great players from that era played their best stuff on other people's records or when covering other people songs. From what I've seen of Jazz in general their is a huge difference in the numbers of great players and the numbers of great leaders with song-writing ability. Those guys come a long once or twice a century. I think it's one of the reasons many Bass players hold so much more reverence for Jaco over Stanley Clarke. Because both them could certainly play.

13. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I liked Stan's stuff up thru "I Wanna Play for You". Although I LOVE "R&R Jelly".
    Stan's prob my all around fav player. Totally opened up the world of bass!!

Hopefully you've heard his fusion band "Tone" in the 70s.
    Sky Church Hymn #9 off Transformation has some incredible guitar playing - acoustic and electric

Jeff is no slouch either! "Hello Jeff" is prob my fav Stanley song. I thought this configuration could have been a really cool band w/ Duke or Hammer on keys

14. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I beg to differ. It's all Stanley Clarke on "Future Shock", "Speedball", "Time Exposure", and "Space Runner". Louis does slap duties on "Play the Bass 10^3" and "Future".

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Exposure-Stanley-Clarke/dp/B0000025V9

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    This one is £35 on Amazon at the moment! Not one I'll be picking up soon then!

Stanley has done some cheesy stuff in the past, he's an artist that has certainly never been shy of moving with the times, and because of that, some of his stuff sounds a bit dated.

But it would be wrong to sla Stanley. He is without a doubt one of my favourite players. I had a massive Stan binge on friday. I was listening to All sorts! Return to Forever, School Days, Animal Logic+Animal Logic II, I wanna Play for you, The Toys of Men...it was intense!

Also, it's interesting to see a Spellbinder bass on the cover...he uses one in the new Return To Forever rehearsal video too!

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    if you read my opening post, it's been pricey for years... that is why I had never replaced my vinyl. I did just buy it from amazon as MP3s for about $8

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree.

Burke said-
    "I think it's one of the reasons many Bass players hold so much more reverence for Jaco over Stanley Clarke. Because both them could certainly play".

I'm not sure about that. FME, every bassist I know reveres BOTH.
    Would add that Clarke also has more "traditional" Jazz cred than Jaco.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 Jaco was a great composer but Stanley is quite respectable also. He has done dozens of TV and movie scores. I would also agree that since Stanley is a double bassist first, he has way more straight ahead credibility than Jaco ever had.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sancious would be a cool guy to have in a band...IIRC, he was also playing keys in Sting's Soul Cages band?

20. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    let us drink from the well