Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stanley Clarke

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkKing, Oct 2, 2004.

1. I purchased his self-titled album last week and following that, Im probably going to invest in "school days" next week. He's really an ace player, and I hadnt really heard much of him before now. He's a class electric bass player, as well as a fine upright player.
    Any fans of him here?

2. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    yup, he rules big time school days is ace!

dodge

3. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

School Days :bassist:

4. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I am more partial to "If this bass could only talk." (including his duet with the late Gregory Hines!)

But "School days" has some great stuff too.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My 3 favourite Clarke solo albums are-
    Stanley Clarke..."Lopsy Lu", earliest example of the Open-Hammer Pluck?
    Journey To Love..."Silly Putty" & "Song For John(Coltrane)" are cool.
    School Days

Somewhere in there I recall my uncle giving me Clarke's debut, Children Of Forever. You can skip that one.

Other Clarke projects to explore-
    The Return To Forever material.
    Joe Farrell's Moon Germs is another personal favourite.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've got School Days and 1,2 to the Bass, both good albums. 1,2 to the bass has a lot of cheesy tracks. School Days is... still kinda cheesy, but better. 1,2 to the bass is worth picking up though, he has this solo instrumental upright track that is phenomenal. And the Oprah reading the Maya Angelou is interesting... but only the first few listens. Where is the love is just so ridiculously clique R&B. And the Q-Tip rap is kinda cool, but the listen to the bass bass bass hook is kinda annoying.

Err... School Days is much better.

7. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    School Days is definitely one of those landmark albums for bass. Stanley = the man.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Let's see......

I have
    • About a dozen of his solo albums
    • Three Return to Forever albums
    • A couple of his soundtrack albums
    • A bass he used to use
    • An autographed picture and signed bill of sale for the bass
    • Seen him live in at least a dozen different concert venues

Yeah, I guess I'm somewhat of a fan. ;)

Peace,

James

9. In my opinion. he's a great electric player, but an amazing upright player. I saw him twice, and I definitely got the sense that upright was really his main instrument. He played this tiny picolo (or tener?) electric bass, and ihe played it as if it were a toy.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Recently downloaded a bootleg DVD of him from a 1978 performance. It was taken from some Japanese TV broadcast and man was it sick!

VERy cool to be able to watch his hands up close.

11. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I was actually told to check out some Stanley Clarke the other day. I mainly listen to metal, but I'm partial to anything that shows musicianship. I think I'll have to go check some out.

12. i really dislike electric stanley, i do prefer a lot his DB playing, i must say that he is one of the best DB out there. IMO

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Don't forget to lend an ear at Return To Forever's "Romantic Warrior" album, with Chick Corea, Al Di Meola and Lenny White. Great, great stuff !