Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stark E and Guts?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bob Lubecker, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Hello everybody!

I was wondering if anybody has had some experience with Guts and a Stark E. I have a Gamut Lyon G on the way to try out, and I'm thinking I'm gonna enjoy it. If I do I will get a D string as well.

From there I don't know what I want for the bottom two though...
    I was thinking maybe a stark E, any ideas or comments?

- Bob Lubecker

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Stark E = Spirocore?

3. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    well stark are the heaviest guage if i'm not mistaken. that makes me think you would have a really tight e string next to some guts that are considerably lower tension. might feel funny or might not bother you :meh:

4. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    My point is: is he talking of the Spirocore stark gauge E?
    As you said, stark is the german word for heavy.
    Many E strings are available in heavy (or stark) gauge.
    I'm thinking of the Flexocor in particular.
    Pirastro (a german company) also puts german words on his string pouches, like Thomastik-Infeld, an austrian company.

5. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    i recognized that too.
    no mention of which type of stark string is in question.

6. Oh, I'm sorry. You were right Francois, I mean the Spirocore Stark E, my mistake.

7. lincland

lincland

Nov 8, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I have these strings that I have no idea what they are. They might be synthetic or real gut, but wrapped in plastic. Anyway they are THICK like the thickest gut and sound really nice. I use three of them with a STARK (orchestra guage) Spirocore. The match is perfect. The E and the A are about the same diameter...actually the "gut"(?) A is probably a little bigger, but the sound is matched perfectly, and I get that really nice low growl and sustain on the E.

I know someone in NY who uses a Gut G with three spirocores...he loves that setup.

try it.

Lincoln

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Are they whitish or black?
    If they're whitish, they could be Eurosonics.
    They use a steel rope-core, but the outer wrapping is polyamide.
    If they're black, they're LaBella 7710's.

9. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Please report back how this works out - both the Spirocore Stark and the Gamut Lyon. I believe I am the one that started the Gamut Lyon craze here and I'm glad to see others using them. I am currently using Lyons on G and D and Permanents on A and extended E (C). The only thing that keeps bugging me is that the low C is not all there with the Permanent. D and Db yes but C is not satisfying. Spirocore Mittel extended E had the thunderous low C (pizz or arco) but it was too bright. I thought about trying a Superflexible but am not so hot on those in general at the moment. Also thought about Jazzers too but some comments made me stay away from those too. I wonder about a Spirocore Stark. I wonder why Quinn's website only shows Weich and Mittel Spirocores - no Stark.

10. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    OK, as luck would have it, I checked the Thomastik site and it appears they don't make a Spirocore Stark extended C string. Looks like I'm still sticking with the Permanent.

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Stark is a neat string. It has a ton of volume with a very strong midrange. The 2 basses that I own have somewhat thin tops and the Starks are extremely high tension. I also have found that lower tension strings generally match up better with plain gut. They seem to be tonally a little more similar. Adrian, why don't you try a Dominant extended E?

12. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Same problem with the Dominant - they don't make an extension string.

13. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmmm. I am still curious as to how you found the Spirocore Extended E to be bright. I have always found the E and A to be quite dark in that set. Maybe you should give that string another try.

14. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Definitely bright compared to the guts and the Permanent.