Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Starter practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tanc, Jun 23, 2004.

1. :help:
    Hi guys
    I am really having a difficult time finding a good practice bass amp. I have seen so many, but don't really know what I am looking for. I am new at playing bass so need something not too loud. I am doing for the love of the music rather than to gigging (for the moment). One guitarist has is saying Ashdown perfect 10 or the SWR LA10 are both good amps. Another said that they would not touch them and buy fender or marshall. PLEASE HELP!!!!
    Thanks
    Tan

2. =w=Bassist

=w=Bassist

May 22, 2004
    the fender rumble series makes good stuff at a decent price as does the peavey microbass combos. W/ ashdowns you might get up there in price, and i'm not all to sure marshall maeks a bass combo anymore (or ever for that matter??). with SWR Cash is alo an issue can also get up there in price
    for right now
    starting out, i would recomend the Fender Rumble 15 , a or the Peavey Microbass III

p.s.~ (try to stay away from rogue, though it might have been just me, i have not had any good experiences w/ them)

3. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    Yeah i owne a pb200-15 which is a combo with 160 watts of power and they make a pb100 which is 100 watts which could be a good practice amp and i think its around 200 or 300 ill get back to you on that :smug:

Ben

4. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Peavey TNT

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a peavey microbass III and it's great for quiet playing and cost me about $100 new 3 years ago.

I've also got a pair of Ashdown 1x12 combos (older MAG series @ 200 watts)... the sound GREAT! and keep up with a non metal / hardcore band fine. I got both used for under $400 each (might be for sale soon too). The new Ashdown Mag combos are almost as inexpensive new (switched assembly to China)... and from what I hear just as good (same stuff/same designs)

8. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    check out the peavey microbass, and if yo udecide to move up, a used hartke kickback 12

9. Where you located? I have a Fender Frontman 15B that I'm selling if you live nearby...prolly wouldn't be worth it to ship though. The Frontman is in the amp shootout link a couple posts up.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I almost bought one of those... also great little amps!

11. Superfly7044

Superfly7044

Jun 19, 2004
    I'd go with the peavey microbass....Those things are rugged and inexpensive

12. Check any of the stuff by CRATE. Made in the USA, bullet proof, and not to expensive. You can pickup the BT100 for $350.00 brand new, it has 100 watts rms and a 15 inch speaker. I have one of the older Crate BX100's and it is a great amp. You can get them used pretty cheap. Small enough to be portable, yet powerfull enough to play with in a band. :hyper:

Dave Starr: Bassist with CHASTAIN & Vicious Rumors

13. Thanks for all of that.
    I am in the UK thus Ashdown. Looking at the Perfect 10. Tiny little thing about 30 watts, 10 inches and £149 = $270, but being from the states...rather buy American.

I have a few brands written down , now best thing to do is go and try them.... :bassist: ..
    thanks again, all been very helpful.
    Tanya

14. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Another vote for the Peavey Microbass

15. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Lotsa votes for the Peavey Microbass. I'll add another. I have zero complaints about mine. It's taken some lumps and I've never had a problem. It fell off another amp the other day and crashed onto a hard floor, but I didn't even worry. It's inexpensive too, and it sounds good for such a little thing.

16. :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :hyper:
    I decided not to listen to you guys, as girls do, and buy an ashdown.
    Perfect 10 - 30 watts of pure bass POWER(ok good enough for me)....10 inch speaker.
    http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/bass/detail.asp?ID=81
    Why? Because I found it the same price as the peavey microbass, but more power, and it purrs like a kitten.

I should be getting it tomorrow and will give you the verdict.
    Cheers for all your help

T

17. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    So...what was the verdict?

:eyebrow:

18. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    If money is plentiful, remember one thing. Originals are often best! Ampeg, Ampeg, Ampeg...........

19. Well after playing the ashdown for almost a month. I am impressed. I plug my washburn MB8 into it and I get crisp and clean sound whatever I play.

BUT, I do think the bass is too clean for some of the stuff I do play. Even plugging my 506II into it the effects are very clean.( :hyper: so will be looking at another bass soon. :hyper: )
    Marks 10/10 for the Ashdown Perfect 10. Sorry abit cheesy.

Tan C :bassist: