Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Static Noise

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Garage, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Every time I plug my bass into my soundcard for recording , I get this static noise in the background. Sometimes its very loud and sometimes its not. I have tried to use a DI box, but that didn’t help at all. The noise is first noticeable when my fret hand is not in contact with the bass. This happens no matter what kind of bass I use. I have tried 3 different bass guitars. This does not happened when im recording guitars or vocals.

I also get the same noise when I plug my bass in the amp.

Anyone who can help me out?

2. Your bass probably has improper wiring or shielding. Open it up and see if anything is loose, but don't touch anything.

3. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    But I have tried 3 different bass guitars, and it’s same with all of them. I borrowed a brand new bass from my local music store, and the same thing happened. I recorded something on the Mac in music store, and the noise was all gone.

Maybe I must change apartment?

4. Could be your surge protector. I know that with effect pedals when you use a power supply, it causes hum.

5. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Mar 13, 2005
    Ok, thanks!

I will check that out.

6. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    How did you use the DI? If you used the parallel it won't help, are you plugging into the 1/8th in connector or do you have something that is balanced?
    Other culprits can be flourescent lights and dimmer switches, turn them all off.
    Have you tried a different instrument cable?