1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steely Dan Tabs/Transcriptions

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by reallife4, Oct 30, 2004.

1. reallife4

reallife4

Oct 30, 2004
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, thanks for having me. Anyways, I just joined a Steely Dan tribute band and I have been transcribing all the Chuck Rainey and Walter Becker lines. Does anyone know if there is a bass line transcription book out there for Chuck Rainey or Steely Dan? Has anyone out there transcribed these lines before? I am specifically trying to hear all the details on "Kid Charlamange" and cant pick everything out.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I haven't seen a dedicated SD bass lines book, and a brief web search says there still isn't one. AFAIK, Rainey's books don't feature any SD work because of copyright issues.

There's a few SD MIDI files out and around that are pretty much spot on. You can open these files up in a MIDI editor and solo the bass parts to pick them out.

Go to http://www.basslobster.com/ and click "Midi Ocean" and then "Jazz and Fusion".

I learned SD stuff old school style by wearing out vinyl LP records :bassist:

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bass Player recently(very recently) did a transcription for "Kid Charlemagne".

4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Yeah, and what a tune that is! I am not sure what month the issue is, but it has Pino Palidino on the cover. IMO, Countdown to Ecstacy has much a better sound than the Royal Scam.... if you want to tackle something easier than Kid Charlemagne, try out some tunes from countdown.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003