Steely Dan Tabs/Transcriptions

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by reallife4, Oct 30, 2004.

1. reallife4

Oct 30, 2004
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, thanks for having me. Anyways, I just joined a Steely Dan tribute band and I have been transcribing all the Chuck Rainey and Walter Becker lines. Does anyone know if there is a bass line transcription book out there for Chuck Rainey or Steely Dan? Has anyone out there transcribed these lines before? I am specifically trying to hear all the details on "Kid Charlamange" and cant pick everything out.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I haven't seen a dedicated SD bass lines book, and a brief web search says there still isn't one. AFAIK, Rainey's books don't feature any SD work because of copyright issues.

There's a few SD MIDI files out and around that are pretty much spot on. You can open these files up in a MIDI editor and solo the bass parts to pick them out.

Go to and click "Midi Ocean" and then "Jazz and Fusion".

I learned SD stuff old school style by wearing out vinyl LP records :bassist:
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bass Player recently(very recently) did a transcription for "Kid Charlemagne".
  4. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

Yeah, and what a tune that is! I am not sure what month the issue is, but it has Pino Palidino on the cover. IMO, Countdown to Ecstacy has much a better sound than the Royal Scam.... if you want to tackle something easier than Kid Charlemagne, try out some tunes from countdown.