Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stefan Lessard's growly sound in "Stay"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

I have a question, In the Dave Matthews Band song "Stay", the beginning guitar riff, Stefan does the quick little thing that sounds awesome. It's got a great growl tone to it. HOW can I emulate that? My main bass is a custom Conklin with a Korina body and Birdseye Maple top, Maple and Purpleheart neck, Birdseye Maple fretboard, Bartolini soapbars, and an Aguilar OBP-3. I run through a BBE 882 Sonic maximizer and an Ampeg SVT-III. My cab is a Hartke 410XL.

Any ideas? I've heard great stuff about the SansAmp, but never tinkered with one. Would that help?

THANK YOU in advance!!!

2. IIRC, Stefan uses a custombuilt Modulus Flea bass (among others) 5-string, with the fretboard extended to 24 frets.

3. Yeah, I checked up on Stefan's gear. It's really cool, his entire rig is listed on the website.

What I wanna know is how I can come close to that tone with MY bass (and also MY amp). I'm not replacing the Conklin! Thanks.

4. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Didn't he use Warwicks on that CD?

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    On that song he used a Warwick Thumb 6.

6. Raise the mids on your bass/amp. I like high-mid growl, it adds a bit of dirtyness, which I love. Attack the strings harder, try to think of your plucking hand as a claw, and really dig into the strings.

7. Thanks Owl. That definitely helps, but it doesn't really invoke that dirty overdriven sound. Have you tried the SansAmp?

8. Jazzguy

Jazzguy Banned

May 3, 2004
    It also helps to use the bridge pup and have you right hand
    closer to the bridge.

9. If you are talking about the SansAmp bassdriver, then no. But I have tried several bass overdrive pedals, and it's not that hard to get a good distorted sound.

10. Yeah, I've tried a Boss ODB-3 overdrive, and currently use an Ibanez Phat Head. They work pretty well for distrortion, but I've never liked the overdriven sound. There seemed to be little in between. It was either clean, or ballz out distortion.

11. I urge you try the EBS Multidrive pedal. You will be pleasantly surprised.

12. Is this the studio recording? I think on every released recording of that song he's playing a different bass. Studio is a Dolphin 5 SN, listener supported he has a green modulus quantum 5, central park he has a modulus flea bass, Live at the Worcester Centrum Center 12.8.98 he's got the 6-string thumb, I believe. Trust me...I stalk the guy.

13. HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA. I'm impressed. I just saw them for the first time a few months ago. I was DAMN impressed. Stefan does have a great tone regardless of what he plays! I'm talking about the studio version of that song. Although I've liked the tone on various live versions as well.

14. It's like a half muted slap/slide. Midrange growl, mmmm, mmm. He's so underrated, IMO. So extremely solid. On most of the DVD's, you can see what he does. Very cool sounding indeed.

15. He is very underrated. Mostly for the uniqueness (is that a word??) of his lines. I'm concerned more with the tone than the technique. My band does that song, along with a bunch of other Dave songs. I'm just trying to better emulate Stefan's tone.

16. I think it's depending of which version of stay your speaking of!

Because it's not the same for different albums, that growl is not the same each time....

17. im pretty sure that i read somewhere that he used a warwick thumb into a miked ampeg rig to get the tone.
    i think somebody mentioned in the effects forum that they got a good stefan growl-like sounds using the digitech x-seies bass comp (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132928&highlight=stefan).
    i have been trying to get this tone for a while as well, and i find it helps on my bass if i play a little closer to the bridge, and play with your eq a litle bit, like jazz and owl have mentioned.
    stefan uses a lot of high end eq and comp rack gear, so he may have used some of that in the recording as well.
    good luck with it dude :smug: