1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stereo cables mono signal?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gotBASS?, Aug 14, 2007.

  1. gotBASS?


    Jul 28, 2007
    Sheffield, UK
    OK i don't know my electronics. Did a search but came up with nothing (feel free to slap me if i missed it). Basically, accidentally picked up a set of stereo patch cables to connect mono pedals, and the shop closed so i can't swap them, but dont want to balls anything up. My question is this: Can I use these stereo patch cables to connect mono outputs of pedals to mono inputs of others? Or can I use them to connect mono to stereo or vice versa without any loss of sound/signal? Alternatively, does anyone want a set of 6 stereo patch cables lol jk.
  2. These should work fine. The tip on one end will complete the circuit with the tip on the other, the ring will not be connected to anything, and the sleeve will complete the ground. I normally build my own cables and have occasionally had to resort to using stereo jacks on mono cords. It made no difference whatsoever. And there should be no problem inserting them all the way in . The only problem that requires inserting part way is when placing a mono cord into a stereo input. This is because the ring would be grounded with the sleeve and break the circuit if the cord was plugged in fully.
  3. gotBASS?


    Jul 28, 2007
    Sheffield, UK
    cheers for clearing that up - has sorted me out ta
  4. TL5


    Jun 27, 2005
    As others have mentioned, you shouldn't have a problem with this. Provided that the connector portion of the jack doesn't make contact at the insulator or ring portion of the TRS connector.

    Generally, I would say no. You would most likely lose the right side of the stereo image OR the mono image would only be present on the left side of the stereo spectrum.
    In order to work with no signal loss, the ring would have to be parallel/combined with tip on the mono end.
  5. fokof

    fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

    Mar 16, 2007
    Some circuits like active basses or pedals , use TRS plugs to use with TS cables.
    The ring contacts the sleeve when you insert a TS jack and that's what powers up the unit.

    If on the other end of your TRS cable there is no contact between the sleeve and the ring , your unit is not gonna power up.

    So , as a rull of thumb , only use TS cables or one day you're gonna be screwed.......

    PS if your screwed , use thin conductive tape to make contact between the ring and the sleeve at either end of the cable
  6. gotBASS?


    Jul 28, 2007
    Sheffield, UK
    Ok cheers still all good, but could someone just clarify - i'm assuming TS to refer to what was calling "mono" cables/inputs, and TRS to denote "stereo" ones. Is this correct?

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.