1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sterling by Musicman Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gabriel192, Mar 27, 2009.

1. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Hello there. I have a question regarding the Sterling by Musicman line of basses, coming out on the 10th April.

According to the website, these are the Ray34 and the Ray35 basses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why is the pickguard on the Ray35 different from the Ray34? I prefer the one on the Ray34. Do you think all finishes on the Ray35 have the same style pickguard? (I'd like to get honeyburst).
    I tried to look for pics of the other finishes of the Ray35, but wasn't able to get any.

Hope someone knows. Thx.

2. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    simply because one is 4 strings and the other is a 5'er

3. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    That is the way the pickguards are on the regular 'Rays, too. If you like the round one on the five string, you could try and find a used S.U.B. fiver... those had round guards.

4. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    All fiver 'Rays have that kind of pickguard?

5. Yup.

6. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    And for now, I believe the Ray35 only comes with the natural finish.

7. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Afaik, Musician's Friend lets you Preorder the Ray35 in either of the three finishes.

8. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Damn. :( I really don't like the way that pickguard looksÂ…wondering if that warrants getting a Ray34.

9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Shouldn't they technically be Sterling by Musicman by Ernie Ball?

10. but i wanted a Sterling.

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Doesn't the MM Sterling 5 have the oval PG?

Letting the PG shape determine whether you purchase a 4 or 5 string bass seems a bit silly to me.

12. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    Yeah, I'm beginning to feel the same way. Wish they had a pic up of the Honeyburst Ray35 though.

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
  14. gabriel192

gabriel192

Mar 23, 2009
    D'oh! Wonder why I didn't think of that. :meh:
    The Ray35'd probably have a black PG,huh?

15. Here's pics of the Ray35 in honeyburst on the EBMM forums: link.

16. Actually, no - the 20th Anniversary StingRay 5-string has no pickguard over its Figured Maple top and "California Sunset" finish...

[​IMG]

...as well as the Limited Edition Ball Family Reserve, which comes with a Flamed Redwood top:

BFR%20Sting%20Ray%20HH.

But as the price difference between these two models and the "Confusing Name by Music Man" import line is nothing if not immense, I'd either get used to the 5-string "teardrop" pickguard, or perhaps set aside some money to have a clear pickguard made if the "CN" basses are made well-enough that you can show off the finish underneath the pickguard.