Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steve Harris' bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Nov 5, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Does anyone know where to get a bass like the one Steve Harris has. I'm not talking about gettting his sig model just something like the white one with the black pickguard and maple fretboard. I've been GASing for something like this but can't find one anywhere.

2. That IS his sig bass... He just got it repainted and slapped a new pg on it.

3. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Go get a white Fender Precision, slap on a black pickguard, Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders, and a badass bridge. Voila, you will have yourself a duplicate of the Steve Harris Bass.

But keep in mind you may be repainting and changing pickguards often if you want to continue to have a "signature" Steve Harris Bass. He often has it repainted different colors, and puts new pickguards on it. I remember back in '85 when this was blue with a mirror pickguard.

4. RoBoTaint

RoBoTaint

Dec 8, 2007
    it would be cheapest just to have a company such as warmoth build you the bass to steve harris specifications.

i added up all the parts.... and for an almost identical steve harris bass it would be around $900-1000

5. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    dont forget the flatwounds!!!

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    You can see in this pic that his pickguard is still a mirror guard, IIRC, he always keeps the mirror.
    [​IMG]

7. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Red mirror in fact, with a blue and red West Ham shield painted on the bass as well. It's done up in team colors.

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Not 100% here, but I believe the red mirror is only on the Fender Sig production model, and that his own is plain mirror.

9. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    It always looks red in pictures and has for years, even when the bass was blue.

10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    This is why I hate,(but love!) mirror guards, if they have colour, its really hard to tell, I have never seen a pic of it that looks red, including the one above.
    And when I seen them live to be honest, I couldn't tell either, but thats because I wasn't close enough.

11. Get the Squier 70's modified P-Bass. It is white with black pick guard and SD pickups. You could then add after market goodies like Badass II bridge, mirror P/G, and even a maple neck (warmoth perhaps). You will want a tube amp to get his tone.

12. DCOOPER

DCOOPER

Jul 21, 2005
    scotland
    I believe that is Steves original p-bass,the blue one you see in Live After Death etc.They just repainted his favourite bass for him.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    It is, and before it was blue, it was black.

14. netface

netface

Jan 27, 2008
    NH
    anyone know what year that bass is?

15. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    most people would tell you a '72:bassist:

16. Richard89

Richard89

May 7, 2007
    Sweden
    Has he changed the neck on it? seems like it doesn't have a logo

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Thats just blur from movement in the pic.