Steve Harris... How Many Fingers?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Oct 27, 2004.

1. 2

23 vote(s)
  2. 2

18 vote(s)
  3. 2

0 vote(s)
  4. or 2

0 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    yes, the infamous question of how many fingers Harris uses... i've read countless debates and yet it always ends up with about 50/50, some saying 2, others 3. well, i'm talking about the signature galloping sound he's got. how many fingers does he use...? let's try it again...
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    What does it really matter? Can you do it with 2 fingers or do you need 3? I need 3 fingers to get it to sound like he does and (luckily) I have 5 so that leaves me with 2 I don't need to use. Now if Steve had 7 fingers on his right hand and used them all, THAT I would want to know since i'm not into having fingers grafted on to my hand so I could stop trying to sound like him. :D

BTW I didn't vote 'cause as I said, it doesn't matter to me, and there was no option for "7" :p
  3. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Goshdarnit Supernaut! Do we have to take it here Too?! He use two....

never anything less, if you have seen for his fingers on videoes(watched them close..) you see that he uses two, the ring and pinky just follows the rest of the hand... and if you have read some interwievs and watched "Classic Videoes: THe number of the beast" he say so himself!
  4. RUBBISH...
    he uses three
    watch him playing, then count, and bingo u got, then try reproducing the galloping sound urself, its so much easier with three, and usually the most simple way is the right answer.
  5. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    I reproduce the galloping sound very fine with two fingers myself thank you.

And why dont you belive somthing he have said himself?

and if you realy watch the videos of him play, you will see that he only uses 2...
  6. In a recent interview, he stated clearly that he uses two fingers, but the rest of the fingers helps the middlefinger with speed.
  7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    2. He's said so himself. The ring finger just follows the middle finger and, yes, it does look like he uses 3 sometimes. But he does not. End of discussion.
  8. Well..i awnsered this several time myself...but ill do it again.

He uses TWO. He said so himself on on the FAQ's. Another bassist asked him how many he used. And his awnser was simply TWO. No less.
  9. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    you see supernaut_1: in an discussion, the only person who would have more right about steve harris than me, Would be himself! :p
  10. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Jamerson only needed 1 :p
  11. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    alright, well until now, i've never heard that Steve says so himself. thanks guys.
  12. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I allways wanted to know the same about Geddy! Even I saw him live I couldn't find out. Does anyone know? Thanx!

13. Yep, me too...

Actually, for me, its a hell of a lot easier to get the galloping sound right with 2 fingers, cause that helps you get that stop in between the 3 hits... thats the time it takes your 1st finger to come forward again.
    1,2,1...1,2,1... etc.

The debate comes from how his ring finger follows his middle finger when he plays, and it gives the optical illusion that he uses 3.
  14. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I've copped that technique/sound by using 3 fingers and Steve was the inspiration. In fact, I always use that 3 finger technique now when playing anything but the slowest triplets now.
  15. PaganBass

Jan 5, 2005

No! Me!! :p
    And yes he uses two!
  16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Ehhm, i do it like this:

1-2-1...2-1-2...1-2-1...2-1-2... etc..
  17. Whos this steve harris guy :eek: excuse my ignorance
  18. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Iron Maiden Bassist..
  19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If'n Steve says Steve uses 2 fingers.... why question it.

I think he must know what his own fingers do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.