1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steve Severin effects pedals (Siouxsie...)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ERIC31, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I was watching an old live video of Siouxsie And The Banshees from 83 and was wondering what pedals bassist Steve Severin used to get that really cool sound that he had. chorus? flanger? both? I could never get a clear look at his pedals in the video.

Any help would be appreciated. I did a search and found nothing on this.

2. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Nobody knows anything about this guy?? Have any of you ever heard of Siouxsie and the Banshees??

Come on now TBers...I know you can do better than this.....:eyebrow:

3. I've heard of them, but in '83 I wasn't exactly taking note of what obscure bass players were stomping on! And since they don't exactly fit into the "classic bands" category there's not as much of this specific info about them on the net.

4. In 83 I was more into DK, the Clash, The Ramones, etc. Standard punk rock. I was aware of Siouxsie, but she/they grew on me later. Superstition & The Rapture still get pulled out now & then. More on topic, I don't know squat about any of the band members, though I do like the bass' tone. Google it; maybe they're still playing..?

5. Well, I can only say he used some kind of chorus.

Not helpful, huh?... :/

6. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I know a lot about the Banshees and a little about Severins gear... this is from my early teenage memory bank, a guitar player interview around the time "Tinderbox" was released... the live video your talking about was probably "Nocturne"... I was only about 14 but I remember he used a selection of Wal's and Musicman basses... he actually used minimal effects, flanger, chorus, mainly boss stuff if I remember, and SVT amps...

The Guitar player interview was a few years later, it featured the whole band discussing their equipment... he'd moved back to Jazz basses at this time and was still using SVT's. His effects remained the same also. He pretty much had the same sound his whole carreer, boosting the mids heavily and flanging them to varying degrees... different albums meant his sound was used differently by different engineers but you can tell he was always going for the same effect. He knew, and filled his role in that band very well.

an interesting player really, not the most technical but very interesting lines and great interaction with Budgie who remains one of my favourite drummers ever...

Billyears IV likes this.
  7. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Yes it is Nocturne that I was referring to. It just got released on DVD with a bunch of extra stuff. I've had the vhs tape for years.

Thanks for the info, that gives me some ideas with my own stuff.

8. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    in the Nocturne video,in Israel, the first song he's playing a beautiful WAL...

ERIC31 likes this.
  9. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Still listening and playing Banshees music 10 years later. :)

Boss BF2 Flanger
    Digitech Bass Chorus
    These are giving me the sounds I need for this music.

:)

Billyears IV likes this.