Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stewart McKinsey audio samples

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gregory Bruce Campbell, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    I recently ran across some nice clean samples of Stewart McKinsey on his BEE fretless 8 string bass! Check these out!

http://www.nolabands.com/jamroom/bands/126/music.php

Most of us know stew as a very cool guy!

I for one am a huge fan of his fretless playing!

Enjoy!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thanks Gre9! You coulda posted this in Bassists, we need us a Stew thread over there :smug:

I was just listening to "Olivia's Lulaby" I got the track from Au6 a while back... nice work!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :eyebrow: so.... we are in Bassists....

Anyway, Nice noodling Stew!!!! I really dig #2.

4. niiiiiiiiiiice. some parts i would never know were on a fretless. very nice tone stew!

5. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Dude, don't get pissed :D

did you move this then? sorry about that...

:help:

ok, wait a minute! you know Au6 ? and even better, he uses Au6 outside of e-mails to me?

;) he started all that by spelling my name Gre9

its funny, i don't think i have even heard Au6's finished version of the tune written by me for my daughter!

LOL

I gotta check in with him!

6. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Stew does some seriously great fretless work, and he's so modest that sometimes it can be hard to stomach!

:eek:

One these days I want Stew to freak me out and say, ok, yah, I am a bad ass! but I’m sure he never will say that....

:cool:

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Au6 and I go way back! We both took lessons from Stan Penridge (song writing credits on a few Kiss albums and guitarist on the Peter Criss solo album too). Au6's father even married my ex and I back in the early 90s (he was Mayor of the little town we are from). I use to hang at his house and jam for hours... we use to hook up when he's back in Jersey, but the last time was like 4 years ago now.

I don't think it's done... he sent me a bunch of rough takes to listen too. Do you play in the Hip hop thang too?

Anyway, I didn't move it, I posted in "Basses" but then I saw it in "Bassists".

Stew is a great player... thanks for posting the link!

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Stew is definitely a top class bassist. After listening to the audio samples in his website I knew of the valuable musician that visits these forums and now, with this new material, it is more than confirmed. Great job, Stew!

9. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    i wish! we used to have a band called campbell's soup, august came in after 2 or 3 gigs... it was a dirty hip hip hop funk disco reggae improv band... stew even did two nights with us...

it was a very loose group!

snoop dog was coming to town, and the guys wanted to have something happening at a hip local club just incase...

but it was the band 9 and Zen's debut as a duo in big sky montana... so what was Campbells soups grabbed a variety of other players and did the gig... and now that group is "the hip hop side project" they are really popular here...

Au6 later started playing guitar in 9 and Zen as well, once we realized we were not pleased as a duo...

so, to answer, no i'm not in the hip hop thang...

but as you can see its all connected

bozeman music is like a volley ball game... when ever the teams switch who has the serve, we all just rotate!

10. :eek: :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

whoa!

I don't check the forums for, like, a day and look what happens!

thanks, cats. you are all way too cool! wow, I am just blown away!

I posted those clips for local cats who were thinking of hiring me, just so they could have some idea of what I can do. what Greg failed to mention is that those were recorded when I hadn't had a fretless in my hands for something like 15 months! there are some serious clams in there!

I sign off with a hearty :oops:

from blushing lows,

Stew

11. Cool! I love this sort of thing. Reminds me of the stuff at my web site ( http://www.unpronounceable.com/solobass/ ) except people like his stuff. ;)

Nice sounding bass too.

- Dave

12. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    Dave, people like your stuff too!

13. hey Dave,

I think your stuff is killin'; I wouldn't even have the nerve to compare my playing with yours! the bass does sound nice, though. that's all Fred's work.

:D

from the lows,

Stew

14. No need to be sarcastic. ;)

Seriously though, thanks. I appreciate it. Means a lot coming from you (and you too Gre9). You both have my utmost respect.

It's hard to know. I get hundreds of downloads of my tracks every month but pretty much zero feedback. I know it's all very rough so I haven't been surprised.

- Dave

15. you're a serious player, Dave. believe it!

from the lows,

Stew

16. hey all,

just wanted to thank everyone for checking out the sound samples. the added attention has pushed me to #8 on the nolabands.com website, which I am pretty sure is a first for a solo bassist! how very cool!

you cats just rock!

from the grateful lows,

Stew

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

I hear that! I check my logs every few days... I get more stuff downloaded that I care to admit and only a handful of comments offered up.

Stew, I just gave a listen to it on my "no speakers attached" computer at the office ;) Maybe we can get you to #1

:bassist:

18. well, as we say in the Old Country...

:eek: :cool:

thanks for the listen, James, and for the vote of confidence!

from the blushing lows,

Stew

19. hey all,

I just wanted to thank those who have checked out the samples at nolabands.com because I just moved a notch higher in the top 10 artists on the site and am currently #7!

thank you!

:D

from the blushing lows,

Stew

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Damn, this is some swank playing. The first one is easily my ideal form of fretless solo playing, and generally what I aspire to myself. I'm a few years and several strings behind, but I definitely hope to catch up with that one eventually! That's mean, and you've got chops, but more importantly, taste. Very swank.

PS: I'm also generally pretty elated that I could just click on it and listen to it instantly...but that's more of my newfound high-speed glory. :) Great tracks though!