1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stingray 4, HH, versatile?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nicopiano, Oct 27, 2013.

1. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Hi,

Yesterday, I tried a EBMM Stingray 4 strings HH in a music store.

I really like the Stingray tone for rock and funk, but for old school blues or jazz?

With the addition of the neck humbucker, it seems to me that it is possible to get a more precision-ish sound. But you know...when you play a bass in a music store, alone with an amp that you don't know, it's hard to really tell what it's gonna be in a real band situation.

I did a search on talkbass and found a few valuable informations about it, but a really want to ask those who owned that bass before :

Did you find the HH version more versatile in a band situation? Thank you!

2. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    Absolutely. I have the 5 string version, and I'm using it for everything from ballads and blues to funk and metal. The different tones are all very useful, and not just there for you to count. The HH 'Rays are fantastic IMO.

3. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    I own both the 4 HH and 5 HH Ray.

I record with Hoffs, Rics, Jazz, Ps...

Live..the RAY HHs gets so damn close...I don't need a spare or bring the passive stuff. Yeah..they are that good.

4. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Thank you, I'll go for it.

5. Yes it's very versatile - and it has an awesome slap sound with both humbuckers selected.

It has four very useable tones plus the standard Stingray one. I use mine for a blues band (which verges on funk and soul at times) - I generally use both humbuckers selected and the mid range boosted a little - and the standard H Stingray sound on songs needing a bit more bight.

6. Very versatile, with 5 different pickup positions, and a three band pre amp. I play everything from rock, to jazz and some slightly country/blues stuff with mine live.

7. Great bass...really cool!

Its only like an extra £75.00-£100 for the extra S or H in the UK...total no brainer.

You get the normal Stingray tone...plus 4 other cool tones. The Jazz-ish/Ric-ish outer coils tone is super cool for aggressive indie/rock.

The neck H can do a very nice fat/warm/clear tone..boost mids and lower treble...mmm!

8. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    How about playing jazz cocktail with a Stingray HH?

9. nicopiano

Jul 3, 2012
    Levis, Quebec, Canada
    Any opinions?

10. Chriso21

Chriso21

Jan 15, 2006
    Fort Worth Texas
    It's awesome man. I love my hh4 maple. All 5 pickup choices genuinely sound different. At least try it out- return it if it's too heavy for ya!

11. Flick the switch so that its using one coil in each pickup. CLassic Jazz bass tones with the active bite to give you more presence and edge.

12. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Truthfully, I found the HS config to have a wider variety of sounds than the HH does...

- georgestrings