Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray 5 action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Boom, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I just got my SR5 on Friday. I have set it up as closed to my tastes as I can but the action is still a little higher than what I am used to.

How high it the action on your SR5?

2. Then perhaps... lower it more? I don't get what is stopping you. Have you adjusted the relief? I find most stingrays to be set up too high from the factory, but the fretwork seems to be about perfect. I have never had a problem getting a stingray to play more or less perfectly.

3. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The saddle on the G is bottomed out. I actually have the adjustment screws backed out through the top of the saddle. I have adjusted the relief tigher than the MM speck. When I flatten it out anymore, I get buzz. When I lay a 24" straight edge on the neck and get out the feeler guages, there is less than .012" gap from end to end of the neck.

What is the action height on your SR5?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bottomed out/ Maybe your neck needs a shim. On my Sterling, the action is 3/32" at the 12th fret (measured from bottom of string to top of fret). I understand this is usually what they set them up like at the factory, it is very comfortable and low.

5. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL

Thanks Figjam. I was beginning think a shim might be the answer.

6. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have the action the setup just as it arrived from the shop, and yes the action is a little high. I plan to lower the action when I get of my A** and get a set of Allen wrenches to do the job. :rolleyes:

7. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Let me know how yours adjusts out once you get around to it.

8. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    My SR5's action is 2mm on each string measured at the 12th fret. Slightly higher for the B string..maybe 2.2mm or 2.3mm. Pretty low if you ask me, considering I use light guage strings too (Super Slinkies). No buzzing at all even when I dig in. I love it...sold my Warwick Streamer LX5 3 days ago because my SR5 is THAT much better

9. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Mine pretty much matches up with what you have. Thanks for the info.

Tonight will be first time that I use the SR with my primary band. So far I have loved it but I am anxious to hear how it sounds in the mix with the rest of the band.

I doubt the I will get rid of my Grendel GR5 any time soon, but it is encouraging that your SR5 has become the only bass you need.