1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stingray color/pickguard combo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dearle, Jan 3, 2005.

1. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    So, being in the midst of a massive upgrade on all of my musical equipment, I have decided to pick up a 4-string Ernie Ball Stingray. I have been through their site and have tried a variety of color/pickguard combination but wanted to see what you all think are some awesome combos for the two. Keep in mind that I want to put this on a maple fret board and am not going to make the headstock match the body color. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

2. personally i like that blueburst/Black pg that they have...otherwise black body/black pg is always an awesome combo for a maple neck imo

3. Translucent orange with a black pickguard, when I get a stingray that's what I hope to get it in.

On Bass Central's site, they have this "Autumn Sunrise" finish that looks really cool, and it's got a maple fretboard, they also have a nice variety of Stingrays too.

http://www.basscentral.com/musicman/stingray4_fretted.shtml

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm partial to the classic look of sunburst and a tortoise shell pickguard.

But I had a MM with sunburst and black pickguard, very nice.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
  6. dearle

dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have to sayt that I also like the sunburst look but already have a fender cornado in a sunburst so I would like to stay away from that one. I was thinking of a white body with a red shell, but I don't know how good that would look with a maple board

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    My favorites are Transparent Gold and Transparent Red with a Rosewood board, matching headstock, Black Pearloid pickguard, and black pickup cover.

I've got a Trans. Gold unlined fretless that needs a Black Pearl guard to complete the picture. I'm going to get a Trans. Red fretted one to match.

9. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    some nice color combos pictured above.... but the natural with black PG looks too much like a toilet seat...

10. MMJoel

MMJoel Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Sudbury, MA
    I will never give up my 1978 Walnut translucent with black pickguard. I have had this one since 1979.

11. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Either Translucent Orange/Red with a black Pg and maple or black with a tort guard.

12. transparent teal with black pickgaurd

13. I concur. That has a nice flow to it too. But I don't know how it would look like with a maple board.

14. white body, tort pickguard, rosewood neck :D
    or natural with black pg and rosewood neck, like mine

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    some rockin' EB color combos for maple necks:

1. Black with black pickguard
    2. Vintage Sunburst with black pickguard
    3. Trans Teal with black pickguard
    4. Trans Gold with white pickguard

Personally, I'd go for one of the above.

I don't like the following with a natural board: trans orange, trans red, natural, honeyburst, white, blueburst, redburst, anything metallic.

16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I saw one today that was maple board, vintage sunburst, white pearl guard. It was sweet.

17. White/Black Pearl PG/Rosewood/Matching Headstock
    Black/Tort PG/Maple/Non matching headstock

drool.

18. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Natural or white/black PG/maple neck

19. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Natural finish, black pickguard......Maple fretboard......

Thats my cup of tea :)

20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I'd suggest honey burst with white pickguard and maple fretboard...

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    JL

;)