Stingray color/pickguard combo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dearle, Jan 3, 2005.

1. dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    So, being in the midst of a massive upgrade on all of my musical equipment, I have decided to pick up a 4-string Ernie Ball Stingray. I have been through their site and have tried a variety of color/pickguard combination but wanted to see what you all think are some awesome combos for the two. Keep in mind that I want to put this on a maple fret board and am not going to make the headstock match the body color. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
  2. personally i like that blueburst/Black pg that they have...otherwise black body/black pg is always an awesome combo for a maple neck imo
  3. Translucent orange with a black pickguard, when I get a stingray that's what I hope to get it in.

On Bass Central's site, they have this "Autumn Sunrise" finish that looks really cool, and it's got a maple fretboard, they also have a nice variety of Stingrays too.
  4. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm partial to the classic look of sunburst and a tortoise shell pickguard.

But I had a MM with sunburst and black pickguard, very nice.
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
  6. dearle

Nov 21, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have to sayt that I also like the sunburst look but already have a fender cornado in a sunburst so I would like to stay away from that one. I was thinking of a white body with a red shell, but I don't know how good that would look with a maple board
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  8. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    My favorites are Transparent Gold and Transparent Red with a Rosewood board, matching headstock, Black Pearloid pickguard, and black pickup cover.

I've got a Trans. Gold unlined fretless that needs a Black Pearl guard to complete the picture. I'm going to get a Trans. Red fretted one to match.
  9. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    some nice color combos pictured above.... but the natural with black PG looks too much like a toilet seat...
  10. MMJoel

MMJoel Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Sudbury, MA
    I will never give up my 1978 Walnut translucent with black pickguard. I have had this one since 1979.
  11. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Either Translucent Orange/Red with a black Pg and maple or black with a tort guard.
  12. transparent teal with black pickgaurd
  13. I concur. That has a nice flow to it too. But I don't know how it would look like with a maple board.
  14. white body, tort pickguard, rosewood neck :D
    or natural with black pg and rosewood neck, like mine
  15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    some rockin' EB color combos for maple necks:

1. Black with black pickguard
    2. Vintage Sunburst with black pickguard
    3. Trans Teal with black pickguard
    4. Trans Gold with white pickguard

Personally, I'd go for one of the above.

I don't like the following with a natural board: trans orange, trans red, natural, honeyburst, white, blueburst, redburst, anything metallic.
  16. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    I saw one today that was maple board, vintage sunburst, white pearl guard. It was sweet.
  17. White/Black Pearl PG/Rosewood/Matching Headstock
    Black/Tort PG/Maple/Non matching headstock

18. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Natural or white/black PG/maple neck
  19. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Natural finish, black pickguard......Maple fretboard......

Thats my cup of tea :)
  20. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'd suggest honey burst with white pickguard and maple fretboard...