Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray G string's too thin sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hc-audio, Jan 10, 2004.

1. hc-audio

hc-audio

Nov 19, 2003
    Finland, Lapua
    I've got a Stingray bass and while I am generally happy with it, I find the sound of the G string to be too thin and with less sustain than the other three.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to rectify this.

2. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    maybe try raising the pickup on that side or perhaps a heavier guage g-string.

Try a search, I think it's been discussed previously.

good luck

3. Try to play a little closer to the neck on the g-string. Bring the g-string relatively closer to the PU than the other strings (raise PU on the treble side or lower the g-string or raise the other strings). Finally some strings has fuller sounding g-strings than others. D'addario Slowounds seems to have the loudest g-string of what I have tried.

Good luck

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Heavier gauge strings?

5. I just brought mine in to be setup, and the tech had lowered one side of the G-string saddle (the side near the preamp), and that seemed to even out the sound a bit

6. I just brought mine in to be setup, and the tech had lowered one side of the G-string saddle (the side near the preamp), and that seemed to even out the sound a bit