Stingray HH pickup coil rotate? 1&3, 2&4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DJJazzV, Oct 17, 2016.

1. DJJazzV

DJJazzV "There's nuthin wrong with this brain!" Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm considering changing the Stingray HH pickup selector options 2 and 4. Instead of them being coils 1&4 and 2&3, I would like 1&3 and 2&4.
    I have enough lead wire to cut the bridge pickup out of it's glued on cover and reverse it. Just basically rotating the pickup 180 degrees.

OR, is there a simple wire change on the selector switch to accomplish this?
    Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Swap the bridge coils location. Don't just resolder at the switch as you'll get phase cancellation.

3. DJJazzV

DJJazzV "There's nuthin wrong with this brain!" Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you very much. Still just thinking about it, and completely reversible.

4. Each pickup has a north and a south (magnetic) coil. When you select single coil modes, your bass is wired so that the coil from one pickup is south, and the coil from the other is north. This is so that you get hum-cancelling when the blend is in the middle. If you rewire the bass as you've mentioned, you'll have a pair of north coils in one single coil mode, and a pair of south coils in the other. The bass will actually hum more when the blend is in the middle than when either pickup is solo.

For this reason I'd definitely remove the coils and swap them instead of rewiring the bass.

They use hot glue for a lot of pickups like this. If you decide to cut it, and the glue is clear or semi-translucent, it's probably hot glue so try heating your blade with a heatgun or a flame. It will melt the glue as it cuts.

5. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Just a quick note to point out that Stingray HH has a selector and volume, but no blend. So discussion of blend is the broader context and would apply to other basses with similar humbucking pickups wired with a blend, but not to the OP's bass.

Otto

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022