1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stingray high end issues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by player 7, Apr 28, 2009.

1. player 7

player 7

Oct 15, 2008
    so i play a single humbucker musicman stingray 4 string and i am in love with this bass. Few problems though, first off when i play out with it, my D and G strings don't register as clearly as the lower strings. i knew that was a problem with the stingray but im just not sure how to correct it. when i slap and pop it doesnt seem to be as big an issue as when i play finger style and im convinced its not an issue of technique since ive got solid recordings with it. any suggestions on how to make the high end register? the only other major concern i have is the awkwardly placed pickup.

2. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    There is a thing with Rays and weak G strings, and sometimes D's

Try raising the Pickup on the Treble side, if that doesn't do it, maybe some new strings.

3. I've heard this about the treble side not picking up as well, but I've never experienced it, but I'd agree to try raising that side of the pickup.

4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    I've had this problem with my stingray. Even when raising the PU towards the strings, the problem was not remedied to my satisfaction.
    I replaced the original PU with a basslines SMB-4a PU, let me tell you the problem was 100% solved.

The basslines PU is wired like the vintage pre-ernieball stingrays with alnico magnets, it sounds better and is way more balanced.

I say buying one is a no brainer.

5. player 7

player 7

Oct 15, 2008
    thanx for the replies. i had tried lowering the pickup on the low end rather than raising it on the high end just so the pickup wouldnt get in the way of my fingers. i will try the opposite to see if it helps

if not then i will look into a replacement pickup.