Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stingray looks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TAKEUPARMS, Dec 22, 2005.

1. TAKEUPARMS

TAKEUPARMS

Nov 9, 2005
    i don't think anyone's talked about this. I like the stingray, but i don't really like the look of it, no offense to those who own stingrays, but i just don't like the pickguard. i think the five string pickguard looks much better, but i don't play with five strings. so what i'm saying is that i want a four string stingray with a five string pickguard that actually fits. does anyone think about this, or is it just me?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yeah it does remind me of hardboiled eggs. It grows on the player though.

Playing a Ray is like talking to an average looking but very intelligent girl (or guy). You come away very impressed.

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I think the 5-Ray guard is too big. On my first 4, a honeyburst, which I should NEVER have sold, I took off the guard and the wood under was beautiful. One of the main reasons I never picked up a SR5 was that abnoxious pickguard. TEHO.

4. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Pick-guards on Rays... especially the 4-stringer... have induced many a comment... pro or con... from many TBers. However, IMO, once you play one, you say to yourself or anyone within earshot, "What pick-guard?"

...and then there's the Bongo... ;)

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe so, but you still don't want to bang her (him).
    :D

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    The Ray and Ray 5 may look different but get the job done. The Bongo looks different and gets the job done.

What may be bad looks to you maybe should just signify good bass.

tk

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My feelings toward the StingRay pickguards have been exactly the opposite: I've never been a fan of pickguards, so pickguardless basses have been the best looking for me with the exception of the StingRay 4. That egg-shaped pickguard has been the only one I've liked. In fact, it was one of the catchiest visual features of that bass along with the 3-1 tuners the first time I saw it. Instead, the SR5 pickguard is horrible to me. Fortunately the Bongo has a SR4-shaped PG.

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Personally, I despise the 5 string pickguard and like the 4 stringer one!!! Horses for courses!

Quite fancied a 5 string but the pickguard put me of......however, now I see they have the 5 string SUB with the 4 string shaped pickguard......I might just invest (and that an go with the 4 string SUB I already have!!!) :bassist:

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I hate the SR5 scratchplate so I bought a black one with a black guard. It disguises the shape. So get a white or black one. Another option with the 4 is to get a clear plate.