Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray Sound - H vs HH vs HS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmaraziti, Mar 11, 2006.

Stingray Sound - H vs HH vs HS

Poll closed Mar 31, 2006.
  1. Yes, a SR HH can be configured to sound exactly like a SR H

60.7%
  2. Yes, a SR HS can be configured to sound exactly like a SR H

42.9%
  3. No, not all sounds of SR H can be taken out of a HH or HS

17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Hallo TB world,

I need some advice about the sound you can get from different Stingray models. I could only try the classic single humbucker SR but not the new ones with HS or HH configuration.

What I like to ask is:

-- Can the HH or HS rpoduce exactly the same sound set of the standard H ?
    -- I have and want to keep my Fender J 5 strings, but I also wanna get a Stingray 5, any suggestion as far as pickup config is concerned ?

I attach here the possible pickup position for each of the models for reference.

Thanks a lot in advance !

Paolo

HS MODELS:
    Coil 1=Bridge Humbucker (coil closest to bridge)
    Coil 2=Bridge Humbucker (coil closest to neck)
    Coil 3=Neck Single coil

Position 1=coils 1,2
    Position 2=coil 1
    Position 3=coils 1,2,3
    Position 4=coils 2,3
    Position 5=coil 3

HH MODELS:
    Coil 1=Bridge Humbucker (coil closest to bridge)
    Coil 2=Bridge Humbucker (coil closest to neck)
    Coil 3=Neck Humbucker (coil closest to bridge)
    Coil 4=Neck Humbucker (coil closest to neck)

Position 1=coils 1,2
    Position 2=coils 1,4
    Position 3=coils 1,2,3,4
    Position 4=coils 2,3
    Position 5=coils 3,4

H MODELS:
    Position 1 - both coils, series mode
    Position 2 - single coil
    Position 3 - both coils, parallel mode

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

The only differences between a random SR5H you'd pick up in GC and a SR5HH/SR5HS would be:

The pieces of woods used (as it is between one SR5H and another SR5H, obviously)
    The lack of Parallel/series
    The fact that SOME wood was taken out and another pickup was put in.

But soloing the bridge will give you stingray sound. I've played lots of SR's at GC, and now when I go I will only go to the HH ones, I get cool stingray tone plus an awesome neck tone.

I'd go for the HH, I've never tried the HS stingray, but I wasn't a huge fan of the HS bongo I played compared to the HH bongo.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Setting the booty switch to #1 will give you the regular single bucker sound. My fave settings are 4 and 5.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    There is some difference in tone from one stingray to the next (from the woods), but I don't think that the second pickup effects the tone of the bridge pickup at all. The HHs in position one sound like any other 3 band ray, and then there are 4 other cool sounds.

Highly reccomended.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    My stingray HH in position 1 is IDENTICAL to a 3 band stingray single H. That's because it IS identical. Same pickup. Same preamp. Same pickup position.

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've long promised HH sound clips, but I had a computer crash and lost the recordings. I've got a hosting account set up and will try to get a new batch recorded and get them into the world as soon as I can. I'll do some sterling clips at the same time for comparison.

7. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Thank you all, can some of the TBers that voted for "No, you can get a H our of a HH or HS" explain their point of view ?

It'd be great to hear aldo the other side of story...

Thank you
    Paolo

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Those are the purists.

9. I don't know there is something out of a Single Pickup bass that you can't "really" reproduce with a Dual Pick up one...

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It feels different having the neck pickup there, but the tone is the same.

11. pmaraziti

pmaraziti

Feb 12, 2006
    Madrid, Spain
    Well, since nobody says anything in favor of teh Hs... I have to say that they look nicer than the HH/HS.... :)

12. That's what I heard when I played it. All the original good plus the new stuff too... very nice.

13. I think that's true only if the bridge pickup of the dual pickup bass is in a different position than the single pickup version. That's what happened with original Lakland 55-94 series. The 55-94's in bridge only position (even with the Duncan's) don't sound much like a MM at all IMO. However... the old single pickup 55-94's (no longer made) put the Duncan in the exact MM position.. and... it sounded A LOT like a Music Man... it's amazing what 1/2" difference or less can make in pickup position.

With the MM, it seems the bridge pickup is in the identical position as the original single pickup version, and the preamp is the same... so.....

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What the new two SR5 is missing, IMO, is the ability to split those humbucker coils. I hope that later additions of this bass have wiring like 55-02s or L-2500, that would allow for an approximation of a J-bass sort of sound.

As for the original question, the bridge pickup setting on the dual humbucker Stingray absolutely nails the original SR5 soound.