1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

storing your bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by raziel4635, Sep 8, 2019.

1. raziel4635

raziel4635

Feb 15, 2018
    so in about a month I'll go abroad for master studies which means I'll be gone from home for a long time and who knows,I may never even come back.

so I'm wondering what's the best method to store my basses.

I have a passive 4 string bass that's been sitting in tune in its gig bag and an active 5 string bass that's out in the open and I'm using as my main bass,also in tune.

would it be best to slightly detune the basses for neck relief?
    would it be best to take out the battery from the active so as to avoid any accidents?
    would it be best to take off the strings completely? (I think that would be quite bad actually but it doesn't hurt to ask)

what else should I watch out if I want to store my basses and not play them for more than a year?

thanks.

lowendrachel and jamro217 like this.
  2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Take the battery out, sure. Leave it tuned up fully. Make sure they're stored in a room that is protected from weather changes to whatever extent possible (humidity and temperature should remain consistent).

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Other than removing any batteries, just keep them in their cases.

Or leave the basses with me.

:D

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I agree it shouldn't be an issue ... remove the battery, leave tuned to pitch (your normal tuning), case 'em, and put 'em away somewhere safe (not an unheated storage locker).

jamro217 likes this.
  5. Distillah

Distillah

Sep 30, 2018
    Another question to that. Is it best to lay the case down or put it standing right up?

6. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Coming from Houston and Dallas where 100+ is normal in the summer, the old guys told us; "If you are comfortable your bass will be also".

Low84 and Alik like this.
  7. MustangWally

MustangWally

Feb 5, 2019
    Houston TX
    Standing up.

Marcus Willett, Artman and AudioTaper like this.
  8. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    "... gone from home for a long time and who knows,I may never even come back."

Sell 'em, or give 'em away.

lowendrachel and Element Zero like this.
  9. Charlzm

Charlzm

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you have HSCs, use those. Put them in a closet that will be undisturbed. But take at least one with you!

B-Lo, jamro217 and Artman like this.
  10. This.
    And put the 5 string in a bag/case.

11. AFRO

AFRO

Aug 29, 2010
    I agree, pull the battery from your active and put both in cases if possible, or at least the gig bag(s).
    Ideally they should be kept in a closet at a friend/parents (maybe) house or room that does not have humidity issues.

no need to detune or anything, just be sure to tune up once you get them back in your possession.

I dug out my Fender 4 after MANY years of it sitting in isolation in my spare room. It was stored upright -I don not know if that matters or not, but it was/is how I store my basses in the case) the tuning was putrid, lol, but it tuned up and sounded good even after (I took a minute to clean it proper) all the filth from the prior gig I played before I put it up that day. And the 'eons-old-strings' that are on it; still were operable.

I am too far removed from 4 string passive bass life. and I need my 5th string and my active EQ.. so I will have to invest in a passive 5er. (one day; when my GAS-tank budget gets fuller :smug:)

Good luck abroad.

12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    Battery definitely off, tuned. I'd store them upright in cases, left in room temperature, indirect from sunlight. General rule: don't leave your basses where you'd feel uncomfortable yourself.

13. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    My bass has been standing in my appartment in Sierra Leone for 2 years (untouched, i left to home for a 3 week holiday and then this ebola thing came and prevented me going back) with a battery in it, fully tuned, standing on my stand. The weather there is terrible in terms of swings in temperature and humidity. In dry season it's dry obviously, but this is only about 4 months. Rest of the year: humid mornings because of the rain last night, heating up quickly to a smoldering 40-45 degreec Celcius, and then in the evening rain and thunderstorms (i've seen 80mm come down in less than 20 mins more than once). The windows of my appartment are glass slats which never fully close.

Some people who went there after about 2 years, took my bass back with them in the plane. i feared it would be totally wrecked but it still plays like butter. Yes i had to clean it thoroughly and new strings, new battery and a new jack plug, but the wood-work seems unaffected. Been playing it a lot now for over 3 years since i got it back and there's just nothing wrong with it.

Before all this happened i always had questions like the OP, what's best to do? nowadays i'm not quite as nervous anymore. The good stuff is build to last.

stockplus likes this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Always check the active bass connection with amp or combo, don't leave it connected. For the instrument it self, if you don't have a stand then leave it body down and always try to have a less straining to the neck. Temperature is good if it's good for you.

15. City

City Supporting Member

I saw a thread a while back where certain cases (the plastic formed ones) may have softened the bass finish in some situations, whereas the wood/covered cases did not cause finish degradation. THat's all I got.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    to store a bass long term … leave it tuned up, remove batteries, store it in a case, store it in a room where temperature and humidity are fairly constant.