1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

straightening this neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by calcuttalowend, Apr 28, 2009.

1. calcuttalowend

calcuttalowend

Dec 13, 2008
    Well i've tightened the truss rod here about a full turn of the allen key - its showing resistance to go any further -, but i still see noticeable neck bend and the action is as shown below; any advice?
    (bridge saddles are lowest)
    3483624070_4a046d6fb5_b.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Is this a Fender neck? How old? What gauge strings?

3. calcuttalowend

calcuttalowend

Dec 13, 2008
    haha no actually its a local made - maple neck. picked it up about 8-9 months ago; dunno how long it was in the store before that, but a few months atleast. standard gauge 045W 065W 080W 105W strings. um yeah..

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    try light gauge strings.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Bolt on a new neck.

6. calcuttalowend

calcuttalowend

Dec 13, 2008
    so no way back for this baby?

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Resistance... well, hard to define that. If the nut still turns, you still can go, as long as you're careful not to force it (if you can turn the wrench with one finger, you're probably still good to go)

Go slow, let the neck settle into each tuning after 1/4 or 1/2 a turn. Some necks take longer to settle than others.

8. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Try Dan Erlewine's method:

Just be very patient and gentle. I've used the method to straighten 2 necks.

9. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    \

I don't find it necessary to loosen the strings, to do this, and in fact feel that it's a more real-world method, to backclamp with the strings at pitch.
    With a problem neck, backclamping is a given--I DON'T want to force-tighten the rod, against both the string tension, and the set of the wood.

10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    It sounds like your TR nut might be at the end of the thread on the rod. Remove the nut, put two or three washers over the rod, reinstall TR nut and tighten. If that allows you to achieve an acceptable relief and your strings are still too high, remove the neck and a piece of an old credit card or business card between the end of the neck pocket and the screw holes (about 2 1/2" x 5/16"), reinstall neck, etc.

From the looks of things I'd try the shim first.

11. Trauma Boy

Trauma Boy

Apr 22, 2009
    cleveland ohio
    give the neck a day or two to set, you should only turn it a quarter at a time