Strange Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by berklee46, Apr 4, 2004.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    All of a sudden, the C and C# on the G-string of my new GB Bass sound like a sitar - mostly buzz with much of the note choked out. The other strings have a bit of buzz there, but not quite like the G-string.
    I play with the strings exceptionally low, so there is buzz across the neck all the time, but these notes being choked out is a totally different and a new situation.
    Also, the 4th and 7th frets play normally, so it seems to be pretty limited to the 5th and 6th...

There hasn't been any significant weather changes over the past week to require a major truss rod adjustment, but even adding more relief, and/or raising the action, it has the same problem.

I checked with a straightedge and didn't notice any obvious high frets, so any suggestions/ideas would be welcome.

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    when you play with super low action the smallest amount of unlevelness(there's no way thats a word :D ) will cause what you're describing. i had the same issue with my fodera because i too use really low action and after a fret leveling the bass was perfect.
  3. Definitely a high fret or 2.
  4. Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Don't ask the neck of your bass to do any miracle.
    Leave enough room for the strings to vibrate.(relief)
    The action on your bass is way too low this is not
    an electric guitar with double lock tremolo.
    Playing that low, you are loosing most of the tone of your bass
    Raise the action to 2mm or less at the 12th fret and adjust the truss rod and set the intonation and you will loose all buzz and improve the
    overall tone of your bass. :hyper: :hyper: :bassist:
    Good luck
    Rene (20 years experience luthier) my site