1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap for NS Design instead of tripod

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Alain Bass, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Alain Bass

Alain Bass

Jun 6, 2004
    Paris France
    Hello
    Any comments on using shoulder strap systems on 3/4 NS basses would be appreciated - thanks.
    Alain

2. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    I really like mine. I made a few improvements which made the whole thing better IMO, but even without doing these, I like it better than the tripod. Here's a link to that post http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233558 Still undecided whether or not I like it more than the end pin stand though, that's a tough call.

3. Alain Bass

Alain Bass

Jun 6, 2004
    Paris France
    Thank's Gorgula for your answer.
    I don't yet buy a NS Wave, but if I do, it will be with the strap.
    So your answer is helpful.
    I went to the link and saw the pictures.

Do you have some pictures of the bass with the strap in action.
    I wonder if with that, the bass is not too low.
    The picture of Bob Golihur 's son at
    http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/nsdesign.html
    show him but with the Cello bass, witch is smaller than the Wave.
    Thank's for every thing.
    Alain Bass

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I am also curious about the strap. It just seems to me that the bass rests too close to your body and would be uncomfortable to play in that position.

I have the tripod and have no issues with it, although I have considered buying the endpin. I like the tripod because there is no need for stand, and since, more often than not, I also have a conventional DB to deal with, it is nice to just step away from the bass with no need to deal with placing, balancing or protecting it.

When playing a gig with just the NS, I think the endpin would be nice in that you have a little more freedom.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I didn't initially respond to this, since I have the BassCello, but.... The bass does sit rather close to your body. I've always had the same issues with my Azola, which is on an endpin. I've just adjusted to it. I like the NS strap system.

6. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    I'm still waiting on mine. Last I heard, Bob told me they're on backorder and won't be shipped until NSD comes back from NAMM. I'll let y'all know when I get mine.

7. Alain Bass

Alain Bass

Jun 6, 2004
    Paris France
    Does someone can comment about the endpin? Diffce with the strap, Position (too close or not), stability, etc …

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I would think the endpin would be more like playing a regular bass. You could use the extension that fits into your hip which would control the distance, or you wouldn't have to. In either case you are balancing the bass just as you would a DB.
    And it would certainly be farther from your body than with the strap.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Onr thing worth mentioning about the strap system; It's actually possible to put some distance between your torso and the neck of the bass, just by pushing the neck away from you. The strap pivot stays in pretty much any position you like if it's tensioned properly. Of course, the body of the bass remains close to you, since it's attached to the pivot point, which rests against your body.

Kind of hard to describe in print.:meh:

10. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Check out this picture from Tony Levin's website.Not the WAV, but it gives you an idea of playing position.

11. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Has anyone tried both the older wooden strap syatem and the new Boomerang system? If so, what are your thoughts? Is the Boomerang as comfortable?

12. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002
    I liked the strap initially but then found it uncomfortable to wear on a full gig. That might be since I used it with an EU 5 bass which is among the heaviest of the lot. I went strap to avoid lugging the heavy tripod bass. But the new WAV4 has a very light bass that easily fits the supplied shoulder bag, so I'm back to the tripod.

13. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Which strap were you using?

14. macmrkt

macmrkt Inactive

Dec 4, 2002
    The NS Strap system.

15. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Mac,

I should have been more clear, what I meant was, which NS strap were you using, the older wooden one or the newer Boomerang?

Thanks!

16. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    OK, thanks!

17. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    After 3 months of waiting, I finally got the strap today and wrestled with it for about an hour and a half. Yes, it's weird, and difficult to get it situated right so that it's playable and comfortable. I'm just using the supplied strap. Next purchase will be a nice short and adjustable Levy's leather guitar strap.

Things I would suggest you consider before purchasing:

1) Don't expect it to put you in a similar position as with a DB or with the tripod or endpin stand. Obviously, the strap puts you a little too close the neck which puts your arms in acute angles trying to finger the neck.
    2) The strap contraption is wooden or synthetic and very rigid. On a skinny bony guy like me, it was kinda of hard to find a comfortable spot. The wooden curve at the bottom would poke into my stomach if I tried to get it in a DB position.
    3) I thought it overall was heavy, but it's not too bad.
    4) Standing up isn't as comfortable as sitting down. Playing with the strap is relatively comfortable if you try to play it cello style or on the side (more on that).
    5) I tried using a second strap to get into a traditional playing position but it ended up being uncomfortable.

So with all that, I found that the most comfortable standing was with the harness on my RIGHT hip, not the left hip as the instructions tell you. I have it where the bass is in halfway URB, halfway EB/porkchop position, The bass is tilted about 45 degress to the left. The fingerboard is rotated about 45 degrees on it's axis. I think it's the same position as Tony Levin has it in the pic posted above....

[​IMG]

it's weird. But the biggest advantage is that now I'll be able to play at all hours at home! YAY! :hyper:

HTHs!

p.s. I'll post some pics of how I have it and some deets as to what you might go up against. More as I experiment later.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    OT... got a gig opening up for Randy Brecker next month. His bassist at the moment is apparently Tony Levin.

Yee-Hah..... Maybe we can compare boomerangs.......

19. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Sweet BIGGUS! Congrats!

Yeah, make sure you get detailed photos of him wearing harness. :D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021