Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Streetheart Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hitman9696, Jun 22, 2004.

1. The guy's name is Ken "Spider" Sinnaeve. He is honestly one of the most impressive bassists I've heard in rock. His playing is incredible and his tone is God given... I have no other way of putting it.

Streetheart is not a very know band I guess. I don't know why. They were kind of an 80s band maybe, and Canadian. Their hits include "Hollywood" and "Under My Thumb", which is really one of the best song covers I ever heard. It just litterally crushes the Stones' version, and the bass playing on it is out of this world.

I wonder what people think of this band, and mainly the bass player, who for some reason, just doesn't come up often, if at all. When you think Canada and Bass Player, 99.9% if not 100% think of Geddy Lee.

2. Wiggum

Wiggum

Sep 9, 2003
    He is one of the best! It was the song "Action" that made me pick up a bass for the first time. The problem with Streetheart was they made some really lousy records. The first few were good though. You are right about his tone too. It was awesome. He used to use an old BC Rich (the koa wood ones).

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    SPIDER! :hyper:

First saw Streetheart warm up for Rush on the "Hemispheres" tour in '78 or so. I had just gotten my first Fender Jazz, and so had Geddy. But Spider was the real star of that show.

He is now playing with Tom Cochrane -"Life is a Highway" and still plays great. Thanks for reminding me about "Action". I wore out the grooves to that record playing along to it.

Laurence

4. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    SPIDER!!!
    I wish that more people knew the pure power of Spider outside of Canada.
    Great on record, but when I saw him live with Streetheart...YOW!!!
    I remember a story that he used to go out to a farm and sit in an old barn with his rig at high volume to get his stage sound together.
    Hmmm... do I want to find an old B.C. Rich eagle on Ebay now?

5. Great to see others who feel the same way :bassist: ... I completely forgot to mention "Action" in my original post... That's one of my all time favorite rock songs... And of course, Spider's playing a nasty, groovy, melodic, punchy, and original bass line... I think that's what hit me when I first heard him... The guy stands apart... He has such a distinctive playing style and tone that I just couldn't resist it... Just awesome... The middle part of "Under My Thumb" is down right sick the way he plays it...

I tried a search on the net to find out more about him, not much came up... I wonder if Bass Player or another music mag has done a story on him or Streetheart... I would love to find out more, i.e. interviews, backround, etc...

6. loverbass

loverbass

Dec 3, 2004
    i can give you quite a bit of information on him, hes my dad! hes playing with loverboy now. i have to say i like streetheart a lot more. he plays warwick basses and eden amps and cabs although on the road he uses to edens stacked and something else, im not sure what. if you have any questions i can answer them for you.

MarkoYYZ and eriky4003 like this.
  7. Wiggum

Wiggum

Sep 9, 2003
    Okay, that's pretty weird. Weird enough that it must be true? Give us some info! Do you play bass or any instrument? Where do you live?

8. loverbass

loverbass

Dec 3, 2004
    ya i play bass and drums. i live in winnipeg manitoba. what kind of info do you want?

9. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    cool, I saw streetheart this summer at summerfest.

10. loverbass

loverbass

Dec 3, 2004
    my dad doesnt play with them anymore, he is in loverboy now.

11. last time i talked to your dad, he was selling his redish spector . does he still have it? stu down at mothers put me on to it. what band are you in? after hearing spiders bassline on under my thumb, i had to get my teacher to show me how to do it. definately one of the main reasons i started playing bass. since then my band has played with trooper and harlequin( who hasnt in winnipeg) probably good friends of your dads from the 70's and 80's.

12. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    How about a transcription to "Action" or "Under My Thumb" ?

13. loverbass

loverbass

Dec 3, 2004
    im in a band that doesnt really have a name yet. what is your name and what band are you in? he still has the bass btw.

johnvice: sorry but i dont think the transcriptions will be happening.

14. the bands that i am in have the worst names. one is x-file the other is BlindSpot( dont ask.) we play all over the city, usually at rookies, joes garage and places like the marion.we seem to go over really well with biker types. lots of heavier top 40 cover stuff,ac/dc,sabath etc. to nickelback and then theres our 80's set, skidrow,crue, ratt ,megadeth etc. did your dad ever say exactly what he wanted for the bass? im kinda not in the market for another one yet, but it would be sweet to buy his.(mabe i would absorb some of his abilities from playing his bass.)on second hand i was given a helmet by David Baily, an american supercross and motocross champion from the mid 80's, and even though i wore that helmet i never became nearly as good of a racer.do your friends know that your dads a cool rock star bassist?that must be so cool.

15. loverbass

loverbass

Dec 3, 2004
    ya they know hes a bassist and a 'rock star' but they dont really know about the talent that comes with it. what is your name?

16. hey, man this is an old thread. just wanted to say that we played with kenny shields and streetheart last monday at cowboys, november 10th ,2008.. over 900 people showed up. the new bassist is really good , but nobody can come close to Spider. we opened with a bunch of 80's tunes and a bunch of canadian rock. streetheart is as good as ever, but not the same. nonetheless they can still rock for thier age.....

17. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

I saw Spider with Loverboy this summer at Rockin' the Fields in Minnedosa. Our band opened for them (we won a competition). Forget what bass he was using but his rig was all Markbass. 2 heads, don't know what kind and 4 x 410 cabs. He still rocks!

18. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    I was shocked how amazing he was when I saw him live.

19. Li'l D

Li'l D

Apr 15, 2009
    He is the man !!!! I was lucky to meet him on two occassions. Back when he was with Streetheart at a meet & greet autograph session when Drugstore Dancer came out and when
    he played with Tom Cochrane. Down to earth kind of guy.

He is one of my personal favs of all time. As a fellow Canadian bassist, he had a great impact on a lot of players. Yes it would've been great to see him with more "south of the border" exposure. I did notice his site was down? Hoping it
    will be up and running soon ? Glad I came across his thread on this site.

bass in your face to all of the fellow bassists out there.
    cheers

Li'l D:bassist:

20. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Yeah! Spider!!
    His playing really made me get into rock bass back when I started.
    I am going to have to find another copy of "Meanwhile Back in Paris".
    I wore that one out, along with Heavy Weather and my book of bach cello suites. . .