Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string height: E / A vs. G / D

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by edge83, Aug 14, 2005.

1. edge83

edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Hi everyone- i just installed a set of steel labellas, 7720 i think (spirocore like sound, green/orange colored rope), and the E / A strings feel *significantly* more tense and high than the G / D, almost like two completely different worlds, one being lower than i'd like to dig in but with the E /A actually being hard to press down, particularly the lowest notes. They each seem to relate to each other well, E to A distance, G to D distance, but with a real big dropoff from a to D. The E seems to be around 9mm with the G around 4, whereas i think it was more like 7 and 4 at first with the spirocores. i had obligatos just before this and there was a bit of this problem, but it seems even worse now. can the strings alone cause that much of a difference? i'm thinking i moved something while changing them, it's the same bridge.

It seems like the more i lower the 'overall' string height the more this problem is exaggerated but it could just be in my head.

My adjusters are even and my bridge feet seem to be on a straight line in the right place- does anyone know what other factors play into this- could the bridge be angled unevenly (as in angled towards the tailpiece), is that even possible. i used one set of spirocores for a very long time and have not changed strings much in my life, is this just part of the breaking in process.

thanks for your ideas

2. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    First things first, is your bridge perpendicular to the top, that is on the back side facing the tailpiece and is it sitting horizontal from side to side on the instrument as a whole, lined up even with the hatch marks of the FF's assuming they are correct.

If everything went up or down I would start to think a projection change but for it to be more on one side and less on the other in difference to the spiros makes me think your bridge has moved. Maybe the larger diameter of the new strings does not let them sit down in the bridge and nut but you stated the same problem with the Obligato......what was the gauge of the spiros or at least the color of both ends? The bass....more info please :eyebrow:

This won't fix your problem but did you lube the notches of the bridge with some graphite (from a #2 pencil)

I really don't dig the steel strings coming from Labella and that's why we don't sell them.

3. edge83

edge83

Apr 12, 2004
    Astoria New York
    Thanks- i believe my bridge is set properly, i have a correct position for the foot marked by my luthier and measurement-wise everything seems OK. Just from the look of it, i think you might be right about how it fits into the nut- previously i had orch. spirocores, red on both ends. obligato next, where i felt some difference between the e/a vs. g/d but not nearly this much. it shouldn't be too long until i can get it to Traeger, but am curious as to what factors could contribute to this problem and what to check, so thanks for the input, i will compare string diameter and check the bridge again
    eg

4. It is always hard to tell without actually seeing the bass, but it sounds like your bridge may have shifted towards the f-hole on the bass side. Given the arch of the fingerboard, if you were to slide the bridge towards the bass side, that would generally cause the D and G to be closer to the fingerboard and the E and A to be higher, farther away from it. Ideally, you would want the bridge feet to be centered between the f-holes, but you may want to check with your luthier to see if they had it centered to begin with.

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Zachary Martin is an excellent bass/cello luthier only an hour from you in Providence. 401-274-3223