1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String ID

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Khordman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. I have been trying to ID these strings for a while now. Quinn String ID doesn't help much when I cross reference with the string maker, and not every string can be identified by these silk thread winding colour combinations. I'm thinking they might be super-sensitive sensicores but I'm not certain with out getting my hands on a new set. The PEG end of each string is red. The ball end of the E string is green the ball end of the A string is blue, the ball end of the D string is black, and the ball end of the G string is orange. It seems unusual that the ball end windings are different colours. Also for reference are the brass balls, which look very similar to D'Addario's Helicore's. Please help. :meh:
    photo_zps3e87d34c.

2. Look like pirastro jazzers.

3. Sorry they're not jazzers

4. They are definiteley NOT Sensicores, since Sensicores have a braided syntheic core and these strings have a solid steel core. The SuperSensitive spiral steel core strings have totally different ball end.
    The ball end type is typical for Pirastro steel core strings (but the ball end disk is a bit thicker from Pirastro), but the different ball end silk colours are not.

Maybe cheap asian solid steel core strings, but I may be wrong. I think they may sound rather metallic.

5. Chinese shipping strings.

6. I unwrapped a bit of the peg end of the E string and it looks like a steel core wrapped in nylon filaments, then copper and then steel winding.
    photo-1_zps6cab0962.

7. Nothing unusual there.
    A solid steel core is usually the sign of a cheap string.
    (Pirastro Chromcors and Thomastik Precision being the exception)
    Furthermore, they're usually quite stiff.
    I'd forget them and go ahead with something else.

8. I can't remember playing these strings. I found them with some old stuff, just seeing if they are worth trying out again or not. I'm not likely to change my current set up though. I have Spirocore E and A strings and Obligato D and G. :) They work well for my bass. I've enjoyed Dominants too.
    I'll keep the old set as an emergency set I guess.

9. Even as a replacement they might not fit your current strings tension.
    Try one of them on your bass (E or A, the Spiros are less sensitive to a string change than the Obligato) and decide if you want to keep them as a replacement.

I played on some cheap asian strings and they were rather low tension and very bright. The instrument didn't sound like a double bass, after replacing them with my strings (Innovation Honeys for a test only) the instrument sounded much better.
    I think even the Pirastro Chromcor and the Thomastik Precision are not very popular these days.

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Good description, KAPOW. ;)

Those strings come on Chinese basses and I've seen them in packages labelled 'Olympic Strings'. Just throw them away...

11. Isn't it such a waste, CRUELLA DaVILLIERS, to use all that metal and ya cain't even wahr up the muffler of your truck with 'um. (I'm from upstate NY, where folks actually do talk like that.)

12. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Hang on to the E string. I've found those stiff steel-core strings to make a handy light-duty snake for the bathtub drain.

13. Well I'm glad I didn't need to waste much time with these strings. Thanks everyone. Who needs a drain unclogged?

14. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    I never thought of that! ;)

15. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    It *IS* a waste - its a real shame that they use all that nice wood to make crap out of too... :(