1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String matching/combo

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by munk18, Feb 22, 2013.

1. munk18

munk18

Nov 7, 2008
    hello all
    bass input - have a newer (2004) hand carved romanian bass. says 3/4 on the label but after the measurements its more of a 7/8. mainly play classical, arco, musicals and pizz when i must. ive had Pirastro permanents (G,D,A,E) on for a while and recently swapped out the A - Bel Canto and the E - Spirocore.

my bass is responding great with both. even allowing my old D & G permanents that i still have on sounding good.
    I was just going to get Bel Canto for D,G since i dont want the sound to be entirely different between strings, but wanted to get some input/other options as what to choose that would compliment the new strings.

thanks in advance! :D

2. If you like your Belcanto A string, it will likely also be a good fit for the D and G. As long as you don't mind its mellower pizz sound, I would say stick with your first idea. Trying to find another completely different string to match is pretty risky; if you spend a lot of time and money, you might be able to find something that outperforms the Belcanto in a certain way, but you're also going to have to make sure it matches and doesn't lack in a category the Belcanto excels at.