1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matoto951, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Matoto951

Matoto951

Mar 18, 2010
    Hi!
    I would like to buy a 6 string bass and I hesitate between two because of the string spacing. The Musicman Bongo 6 has 17.5 mm of space while the Yamaha TRB 1006 is 18 mm. I don't think I'll slap on it so do you think the Bongo might be better because of this aspect?
    I mainly play progressive metal, hardcore.

If you also have some other bass for advice, your free to tell me! :)
    Thanks!

Sorry for the bad English :G

2. BassMan7530

BassMan7530

May 2, 2009
    I have played my Ibanez SR506 6-string for a bit over 3 years now, and I love the string spacing (I believe it is 16.5mm, but I'm not positive). I play progressive metal as well, and I really enjoy tighter string spacing, but maybe that's just a preference that I've developed. To get a feel for which you would like more though, think about your current basses' string spacings, and think about if they work well for you, or if you would like something a bit tighter or a bit bigger, etc.

Also, a .5 mm difference shouldn't be too big of a factor if there are other things you like about a bass. String spacing is definitly important for comfortable playing, but if you really like the sound and overall feel of one bass, but the string spacing of the other, I wouldn't worry about the string spacing too much. String spacing, to me, seems as if it is just another one of the many variables that makes a bass just right, but not essential. I've always found it fairly easy to adapt to a different feeling bass. Your best bet would be to play both of these basses if you can, and see what you like more overall.

Brian

3. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    String spacing, to me, means nothing. I guess my hands fit them all. I have three 6'ers all from different manufacturers and they all feel about the same. Besides, to play one efficiently you would need to wear it higher than a 4 or 5 to manage the neck width and you may look out of place, for metal. For the music you want to use it for, try a Spector Euro LX6. If you really want to get one. Heres mine....

010.jpg

4. Matoto951

Matoto951

Mar 18, 2010
    I thank you very much for your answers, it will help me in my choice ;)

5. 1. String spacing is HUGELY important- to me; perhaps to you, perhaps not. We're all different.
    2. Who cares how you look? I mean, if that's important, OK; it's just not to me(although admittedly I know little about your genre).

That all said, I was alway impressed at how playable Ibanez Soundgear sixers are for me, which moreless contradicts my preferred wide spacing BS statement. :rolleyes:

6. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    IMO tighter string spacing = easier to play. Yes, that includes slapping (if you can slap, and don't have enormous fingers, string spacing is a non-issue), but it matters the most for finger style. Don't need to stretch half a mile to play octaves for example. If I could choose I'd want my Marcus Miller 4 string to have 17.5 mm, but only my 5 string has that spacing.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020