String tension pulling pegs!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Rob Knight, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Dear all,
    the benefit of your experience would be most useful. (apologies in advance for terminology errors)

The bass has metal tuning machines mounted two a side on a plate.

Question: Do basses normally have a collar or sleeve inserted into the opposite side of the peg box for the end of the peg shaft to sit in?

I've noticed the tension of the strings is pulling the peg shafts away from perpendicular and towards the nut. Only slightly but it's there.

Thanks in advance,

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Are you absolutely certain it is the string tension pulling the shafts out of square? The shafts are really only supposed to be perpendicular to the actual gear which rests flat on the plate. Because the peg box is not square but tapers in toward the top, the shafts actually are not perpendicular to the nut, but are angeled downward slightly. All basses are like this as far as I have seen.
  3. Yes, I meant perpendicular to the plate. There is evidence in the wood of the shafts having moved.
  4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  5. Ah, you'll be surprised to learn. A cheap one!
  6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Are the tuning machines operating smoothly?
  7. Yes they are. I'll be keeping an eye on them for further movement.

Thanks for taking an interest Nick, I appreciate it. More so after visiting your web site last night.
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A picture would help. Got any?
  9. Sorry for the delay. I've been on holiday for the last week.

I'll try to get pictures in here as attachments. I hope they're not too big.

Attached Files: