1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string thru bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Morson93, May 1, 2010.

1. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    is it possible to convert a standard top loaded bass to a string thru bass? What tools would i need? how would i go about this? other than a bridge, what would i need to buy? anyone seen any good guides on how to do this?

Thanks
    Morson

2. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Plunge router or dremmil would work for the string through holes. Screws and an electric drill for the new screw holes. Wood glue & match sticks (how I filled old strap button holes), epoxy maybe to fill the old screw holes.

Many people dislike string through and will persuade you not to do this but IMO string through works and is awesome if you know how to properly restring your bass.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Most of the folks who have basses with the option to string through the bridge or the body will tell you it makes no noticeable difference in tone. I'm one of them. It's a fairly big alteration that will drop your bass' resale value immediately and likely provide no benefit at all. I wouldn't try it unless it was on an inexpensive/beater/never-gonna-sell type of bass.

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    It adds to sustain and quite honestly on my bass with it I could pluck a string. Go have breakfast, mess around on TB a bit, text some people and go back and it'd still be ringing. Only problem is people twist their strings (incorrectly restringing a bass) and doing that with string through deadens your strings.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'd venture a guess that most of the folks I've seen weigh in on the issue know how to string a bass- still no added sustain from all I've seen, played, and tried.

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Different folks, different strokes. We could play same bass and I might notice a difference and you won't, or vice versa.

7. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    My cheapo Toby came with a cheapo bridge that I replaced with a Hipshot B bridge with string-through option. I made a template and used a drill press to drill through the body and make new holes for the screws. Now I'm one of those who doesn't believe string-through makes any difference. It was a fun, not too difficult mod, and if you're going to change the bridge anyway it's nice to have the option to see what you like.

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll stay out of the "if it matters or not" debate -

If you want to drill it for string through, you'll need a drill press, the appropriate size bits, ferrules, and either a different bridge or the desire to modify the existing one.

It's easy to drill for string through - but it is hard to do it "well". Many people wind up with ferrules that aren't lined up and the work looks shoddy. Make sure that before you mod your bass, you practice quite a few times on a scrap piece of wood that is roughly the same thickness as the body.

9. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Sterling Ball (Musicman) and Roger Sadowsky say it makes no difference. So do many other equally qualified folks.

They could be wrong, but I don't think so.

10. boyet

boyet

May 15, 2007
    Miami
    This is a fact based on my experience.