Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Thru Body Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Feb 20, 2005.

1. I did a search and found nothing. So, I apologize if this has been asked before.

Anyway, in modding my Essex jazz, I've considered a new bridge. I've seen bridges where the strings are routed through the back of the bass then over the bridge.

What are the pros/cons to these type of bridges??

2. IMHO...there's no advantage to this set up...it's supposed to provide more sustain, but I don't think it does since the bridge is already firmly attached to the body and vibrates as one system with the body.

The ONLY advantage I can see to this arrangement is that there is less pressure on the bridge plate screws. But these screws are generally beefy enough to handle it.

If you're modding, don't go string-through (strings through the back)...it's too much effort for any forseeable gain. Get a good solid bridge like a hipshot or a BadassII.

TIP:
    It's important to remember when changing your bridge that you drill the old holes and fill them with dowels (AND glue) so that a nearby new hole doesn't "tear" into the old one. Use hardwood dowels, if possible, and when putting new screw holes, always predrill them with the recommended size and depth.

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I happen to prefer the through the body stringing. You can pick up parts like that in several places. E-bay, Stewart Mac, All parts, Warmoth, Talk Bass, the Dude Pit, Harmony-Central just to name a few. Bass Gear.com also. You can pick up the ferrules and bridges new or used depending upon how much you would like to spend.
    :hyper:

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've done an A/B with a Gotoh 206 (allow anchoring in either location) and there were no noticeable advantages to stringing through the body.

5. I can't tell any difference between the two, some can. One disadvantage to string through is that it can make string changes take longer. If you ever need to change a broken string, say, on a gig, this could be a big deal. Also, if you can only do one or the other, it can limit your string choices.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pros: Looks and feels cool to have the ferrules in the back of the bass.

Cons: String choice are limited - the strings must be long enough to clear the nut - XL-scale.

Sound and feel is about the same IME.

If you're doing it yourself, be sure to make the ferrules line up extremely stright. Uneven string ferrules reverse the Pro i mentioned above.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Since this is repair and modification oriented, I am moving this to Setup.