Strings for 5-String Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by trashbass1028, Feb 9, 2020.

1. trashbass1028

trashbass1028

Dec 18, 2019
    Just recently picked up a 2007 five string Fender jazz bass deluxe that desperately needs new strings. I have a set of long scale D'addario strings that I thought might work, but I want some other opinions since it's a string-through body as well. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. DR Sunbeams. I've now got them on my two jazz basses, one 4 string and one 5 string. My 5er has an Audere preamp and Aguilar Noiseless pickups while the 4 string is still passive- also with Aguilar noiseless. Both basses sound great with the Sunbeams and they seem to have a pretty long life, and still sound good when they're good and broken in.

I've had D'Addario XT's on the 4 string and while inexpensive as bass strings go, the sound was "meh". On the 5 I've also tried DR Pure Blues and D'Addario NYXL's. I think these ones all provided an acceptable sound for they type of music I play (generally all around, from worship to musical theater, some general jamming), but the Sunbeams just seem to be just right.

trashbass1028 likes this.
  3. trashbass1028

trashbass1028

Dec 18, 2019
    I won't run into any length issues with the regular long-scale strings will I? That's really my main concern.
    I've used D'Addario's most of the time but I'm always open to try new strings!

4. Anything between 37.25" and 38" in winding length (ball end to taper/silk) would fit a thru-body American Fender. They can be either "long scale" or "extra long/super long" depending on the manufacturer.

You can refer to this list: Bass String Lengths by Manufacturer

5. Here's how the GHS "universal long scale" with 37.25" winding length would fit my Am Std P bass thru-body:

aZ4Xtl2397XjIF2uF5B163874JXL6Hx3U-aC9OosQEofzeK_1e3uieGPo2I_bOtU_CpTiQ9RVnxXzzKJ52Y=w362-h644-no.jpg

6. trashbass1028

trashbass1028

Dec 18, 2019
    This helps a ton! Thank you so much!

michael_t likes this.
  7. You can call DR directly. They are super friendly and helpful. I'm sure that their strings will accomodate a string-thru situation. I'm sure there was excess string length on the Sunbeams to accomodate the extra inch or so that you'll need. OTOH, I found that the NYXL's come in two string lengths and once I was sent a set that was too long and ran into trouble. And one time, with the correct length NYXL, I accidentally cut a string too short and only had 3/4 wrap around the post and it held tune just fine. IMO better a bit too short than too long... though you know what Goldilocks would say :)

8. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I like steel on Fenders. I recommend DR Low Rider steels. You will be absolutely fine on winding length for through body. As DR's E strings are usually a little too long when top loading a fender. Might be a similar situation with the B string. Its....been awhile since I had a Fender 5er.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022