1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Carvin SB5000?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bigfellow, May 13, 2011.

1. bigfellow

bigfellow

May 10, 2011
    Berlin, Germany
    Hello from Germany,

got my Carvin SB5000 yesterday and would like to ask the experienced SB5000 owner(s):

Which strings do you use for your SB5000? Would like to have have a warm, mid range Jazz Bass Sound. So far I guess there is something like 40 - 128 (Carvin) on it.

Additional tips concerning "sound control" are highly welcome!
    So far my (4 string) basses had passive electronic "only" and now there a some more controls to use.. :rollno:

BIGFellow

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i am curious about this as well.

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I don't have a Carvin, but I have used DR Marcus Millers on all my basses with great success. I just bought a set of Just Strings (their house brand) and they are good too. They are kind of a cross between the feel of the DR's and the tone of D'adario Pro Steels. But these are bright / aggressive strings. They mellow with age, but some wont like the brightness. If you want warmth, go with nickel strings. DR SunBeams would be a good place to start. Also you could try Fedora diamond series.
    As for tone control. A little dab will do you. Make small adjustments until you find the tone that suits you. From what I've heard, the SB500 has a very versatile preamp, so it shouldn't be hard to find a tone you like. Watch the video series on Carvin's SB 4000 page. Carvin.com - Custom Shop :: SB4000. He does a great job of explaining the tones.
    Oh and TB rules say you have to post pictures :)

4. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I use D'Addario xl's on mine and usually run it flat or I'll boost a little bass.