Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings for Distortion

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, May 7, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    OK, I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for strings that would sound good overdriven/distorted, right now I'm using EBs on one bass, and GHS's on my other bass, and I don't particularly like the distorted sound on either... I would like a set of strings that has a really bright sound when picked, and more of a growl when I play fingerstyle... and also, what strings are ideal for tapping, I have really gotten into tapping recently, but I find with the way my action is set, at nearly a half inch at the 12th fret ( I like my action high, to build finger strength), it is a bit wearing to do long tapping lines on the G string, so maybe a set with a light G? or a set of light gauge strings for my other bass?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    The only thing I can give you advice for is the tapping. The Colonel uses A-A-G-G strings tuned E-A-D-G which makes tapping very easy. You could give that a try. :)

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    First off, lower your action. You could strain your hand trying to tap with action that high. Lighter strings also help a great deal. Maybe a 45-100 set instead of a 50-105.

Try steel strings; they are very bright supposedly.

I have no idea what your definition of "sound good distorted" is I'll skip that part.

Adam

4. Gomex

Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    Australia
    Play with high action to build finger strength? Why? I can understand having a high action because you like the sound but why would you want stronger fingers? If you can press the string to fret isn't that all the strength you need? lowering you strings will give them a brightter sound (closer to pickups, 'fret' noise).

BTW I thought Les Used ADGC sets tuned to EADG on his fours? I could be mistaken

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Im thinking light gauge DR strings

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Steel strings. Need the zing to cut through the distortion.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    With overdrive and distortion, the natural tone of your bass is usually lost, let alone your string tone. Stainless steels would be good for long life and I also second the medium-medium light strings from DR. Any of them are great.

Lower your action immediately. In fact, I'd say you should take it to your guitar tech once you get new strings on it. Tell him to give you the lowest action you can get without fret buzz. A lot of tappers use extremely low action. Wooten is reported to use 1-2mm!! The higher the action, the MUCH harder it is to tap and sometimes becomes impossible to tap as you can not release the string fast enough for it to "pull off" to the next note.

-Eric.

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Stainless steel - Rotosound, D'Addario, DR

Try steel frets as well, from warmoth.com