1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for growl

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 77stingray77, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 77stingray77

77stingray77

Mar 27, 2017

Looking to get that jazz growl

Dr Hi beams?
    Fat beams?
    Or Marcus miller Dunlop

31HZ likes this.
  2. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Consider Fodera Nickels. I like the sound your looking for. I think Foderas do very well at it.

Very nice playing.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Ernie Ball cobalt rounds.

Stefan Verbeeck likes this.
  4. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder

Sep 2, 2008
    Depending on pickup config and settings, GHS Pressurewounds can get your bass growling like a wolverine in heat. I have them on a bass equipped with TV Jones Thuderblades and that thing is as growly as all get-out.

Linnin and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  5. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder

Sep 2, 2008
    They've got a crapload of top end out of the package, but Gorn's right. Once they're played in a bit, the Cobalt Rounds will get you there too.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You can always ask MarloweDK what strings he's playing as he's not unreachable. He's got no silks showing. D'Addarios? Also good old hex core Bass Boomers have brutally rude low mid growl. One thing you'll notice is blissfully missing in both vids is zing & top end sizzle, so you'll want to avoid Rotosounds and the like. Another thing that is blessedly plentiful is some extreme bass meat. To me that means hex core, but it would be very interesting to know exactly what they're playing. EQ on the active bass and amp is crucial too.

7. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    DR Jonas Hellborg Rounds. All fundamental without many harmonic tones. Pure nickel, single wrapped on a round core. Deep, clear and growly. I have them on my Stingray and Warwick.

8. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I've played Elixir for a loooooooooong time, pay attention to the mids a good bit on my eq, and have plenty of grunt and bite on my Cirrus (has a mid-sweep on the preamp, too). Also, one of the best recorded sounds I've ever gotten, was with a G&L L2500, strung with D'Addario Prisms...the thing ROARED. I think they have an equivalent to those, currently....

9. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Get a Jazz bass?
    I use Rotosound swingbass 66's and my jazz growls.
    Keeping your strings newish helps too.

10. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Let's start with the obvious, if you want to get the Jazz/Rickenbacker/Precision sound, then get that model. You really can't change a zebras' stripes. I like D'Addario Chromes on my Jazz. It's pretty growly. :thumbsup:

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. I'm getting serious growl out of my Ristola 6-string, strung with Pressurewounds.

Linnin likes this.
  12. Volunteerk9

Volunteerk9

Oct 20, 2015
    Dunlop Super Brights. As cheap as they are you could afford to change them monthly to keep the new string sound. Ive used a set for 4 months now - they have mellowed out some, but still have the midrange grit.

I will have to say that your 'growl' and my 'growl' are completely different ( with what I'm hearing on the Bruno Mars video) so my string preference may not even be on your radar. This could be on my Top 5 posts that I have made being completely worthless info relayed :poop:

basses51 likes this.
  13. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Epic Pickups & StringJoy Strings Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    It's all in your finger technique.

twocargar likes this.
  14. Another vote for Roto 66. Best I've tried on my Jazz Bass for an aggressive, growly sound.

gumtown, The Chuck and son_of_mogh like this.
  15. I just re-strung two of my basses yesterday with Dunlop Superbright Nickels...My 4-stg P-Bass with a Duncan QP and 5-stg Jazz with active EMGs...Did a rehearsal last night and Yeah Baby....I think I found my NEW Favorites!!!

16. I just started using them and love them....A LOT !!!

17. Volunteerk9

Volunteerk9

Oct 20, 2015
    I should have said I've had the same set on for 4 months now. basstringsonline will run them on sale crazy cheap and I've bought them from Amazon as well. I've tried alot of different ones, but just kept coming back to these.

basses51 likes this.
  18. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    DR Black Beauties

19. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I like the Superbrights as well, but the DR Hellborgs are darker and deeper.

20. Bass Strings Online is where I bought mine....Two 4-stg sets and one 5-stg set for $40 bucks and change and free shipping