Strings ,Fretboard problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ray62, Dec 29, 2017.

1. ray62

ray62

Feb 24, 2017
    Milan,Italy
    I have problems playing my Thunderbird, I apologize if I made a few words wrong but I'm Italian and it may be that the translation was not right,i'm sorry

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  2. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Tuned to correct pitch?
    Gauge too heavy?

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There may be some translation issues here. Can you explain the problem further?

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Mine aren't clever at all - everything I finger a bad note they play it anyways :( .

5. What brand and type of strings do you have right now on your T'bird?

And how old are they ?

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I see that you are struggling to find the right words in English, but now I think I understand what you mean. The answer depends on many factors, but the two most important ones are probably:

1. The gauge of the strings, which refers to how thick they are (their diameter). A package of new strings will usually list the gauges for all the strings in the package (in mm), and will usually also label them as "extra light," "light," "medium" or "heavy." Lighter (smaller diameter) strings feel more "soft" and flexible than heavier ones.

2. Flatwound strings generally feel more "hard" and stiff than roundwound strings. If your strings feel perfectly smooth when you slide your finger along them, they are probably flatwounds; roundwounds feel (and look) rough.

Does that help?

7. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

CleverGirl_Fullpic_1.gif

Element Zero likes this.
  8. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I'd like to see some of you who think you are so clever, actually have the [email protected] to try to function in the language of another. Grow up and try to be helpful, instead of displaying pathetic and childish attempts at humor.

david bennett, mcnach and Lobster11 like this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Dude, the clever jokes are in jest. No one is making fun of anyone.

DavC likes this.
  10. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Well, "Dude", the man is asking for help, not comedy.

david bennett likes this.
  11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    And the translation issues have been acknowledged and clarifying questions have been asked and a few jokes were made. The only one who's said anything offensive in this thread so far is you, bro.

12. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Sorry, not your "bro", and yes you acknowledged a language issue. However, a little sensitivity goes a long way, which you can't seem to accept. Sorry if I was so offensive.

david bennett likes this.
  13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Please go have sex with someone immediately. For the sake of this thread!

Joke translation: You seem extraordinarily uptight and are overreacting. Perhaps you would find copulating with another human being a very agreeable and relaxing experience and we can move on with the discussion. No offense intended. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    DavC, Aqualung60, Phud and 2 others like this.
  14. Sounds like very old strings. Either that or they are large gauge.

15. ray62

ray62

Feb 24, 2017
    Milan,Italy
    Gauge Rotosound 50/ 110

16. ray62

ray62

Feb 24, 2017
    Milan,Italy
    Rotosound 50 /110 Long scale

17. Yeah those are tree trunks!

I favor round wounds, nickle-plated round core and n gauges 45-65-80-100, also known as medium light.

Core wires that hexogonal tend to be stiffer than round core, and I find nickle-plated strings more pliant than stainless steel strings too.

DavC likes this.
  18. ray62

ray62

Feb 24, 2017
    Milan,Italy
    I have problems playing my Thunderbird, I apologize if I made a few words wrong but I'm Italian and it may be that the translation was not right

19. ray62

ray62

Feb 24, 2017
    Milan,Italy
    I have problems playing my Thunderbird, I apologize if I made a few words wrong but I'm Italian and it may be that the translation was not right

Nev375 likes this.
  20. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    Lighter gauge strings, and a decent setup for a reasonably playable action can make an immense difference. The first bass I played on was honestly waaayy more physically challenging than it needed to be. I feel like this is one of the biggest problems for new players, both guitar and bass. Even though I’m at a point where I could make anything work, I currently have a p bass with low action and TI jazz flats and a mim strat with 9’s that will setup with a stupid low action. Both of those instruments would make life so much easier for someone just starting out than what I started with.