1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings like dr sunbeams, but higher tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Oct 8, 2009.

1. can anyone recommend a good string for a fretless jazz bass, similar to dr sunbeams?

the sunbeams have gotten rave reviews and seem to be the sound i'm going for (mellow, growly, good midrange), but the supposed low tension is throwing me off. i like to dig in a bit, at times.

what could compare to the sunbeams with a little more tension? fender 7250s? dr nickel lo-riders? dean markley nickels? thanks!!

2. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    D'Addario XLs have somewhat similar sound, with more lively midrange and a bit higher tension.
    Fenders 7250 are mellower, but have higher tension too.

3. thanks for the recommendations. i ended up getting the sunbeams, anyways, and i don't find them loose at all. i was expecting ti jazz flat-like looseness, but they're just about perfect!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1 on that. I ordered a set of Sunbeams to try on my Peavey Millennium. Since it's a 35" scale, it has a little less tension on the strings anyway...then after ordering I kept reading how low the tension was on the Sunbeams and figured I really screwed up. However they feel tension wise just like the SIT Power Wound Nickels I had on there previously. Sound wise I like them so far. Time will tell if they are worth double the price over the SIT's.