1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings with GROWL

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by battlewagon, Nov 30, 2006.

1. battlewagon

battlewagon

Aug 29, 2006
    I was wondering if anyone here could help. I am about to hit the studio with a Fender Frank Bello bass, and I like to string through the body. I want to throw on a fresh set of strings before I head in though. And I want to have a nice growl on my sound. A natural one, I don't like to use effects. I know that attack and EQ are factors in this as well, but, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a good brand of string to use. New strings usually have that sound I am looking for, but I want something a little more consistent than that. Something that will help maintain a nice, growly sound. Any ideas?

Examples of the type of tone I am looking for; Anthrax - Persistance of Time / Among the Living, Exodus - The past two CD's they put out, Testament

Oh and I play with my fingers, I don't know how to play with a pic, haha

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Dean Markley Blue Steels. They are so crisp and growly all at once. They do need to be broken in for a day or so on your bass but no need to go crazy. I love these strings and keep going back to them everytime I try something else.

I prefer the medium guage. The mids and growl are all there. Give em a try.

3. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    i picked up a set of blue steels and i really like them a lot!

i'm used to medium gage, but i dropped down to light and although they are a bit easier to play, i feel they lack the tone provided by slightly heavier strings.

looks like i'm going back to medium!

4. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    rotosound stainless steel swing bass strings are crazy growly! not as bright as blue steels, though.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    blue steels are pretty neat but dont they break kinda easy? i broke the e and a strings within 4months

6. /subscribes/

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I/ve never broken a bass string of any kind and I pluck pretty hard. Could be an issue with your bridge. I'm sure a bad string gets into a pack every once in awhile too. Other than that, never had any string breaking issues.

8. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Strings with "growl" IMO:

DR Hi-Beams
    DR Fatbeams
    DR Lo-Riders
    Dean Markley SR2000
    Dean Markley Blue Steel

9. battlewagon

battlewagon

Aug 29, 2006
    thanks guys! Seems like the blue steels are pretty renowned here so I will check them out! On my way to the dreaded guitar center tonight.

Oh and yes, I have tried Rotos and Low Riders and I did in fact like them both. But thanks for the suggestions, I am gonna check them all out!

10. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    agree on the fatbeams. diaagree on the lo riders! hi beams in between. but not growlier than anything.

11. My blue steels used to brake all the time aswell, which is why I swiched back to EB's. They don't have the nice tone, but they didn't brake all the time.

12. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I've heard of strings breaking, but I didn't know they could just brake in mid-air... impressive!

anyway, my vote goes for DRs. they last forever

13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    DR Black Beauties are the growliest strings I've ever used- and I've tried every string listed on here (except the Fat Beams....)! I didn't find Hi- Beams to be nearly as growly- I would recommend DRs to anyone though! (they make a set that will work with just about any sound!)

Karl Zickrick

14. Grey Cat

Grey Cat

Dec 1, 2006
    Denver, CO
    +1 for the DR's (I use Hi-Beams, but I've liked pretty much every string I've tried from them.)

15. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    +1 for the DR Hi-Beams and Lo Riders
    I formally used the Blue Steels, initially crisp and bright however they die quickly and begin to sound muddy.

16. +1

DR = Growl.

17. Roger Pounders

Roger Pounders

May 24, 2006
    Rotos, Swing Bass...

definitely

Ive used nothing else since I was a wee Bassist

18. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Another DR user here. I like nickel Lo-Riders on my fretted basses and Sunbeams on the fretless'. Those sunbeams are an amazing fretless string.

19. DR High beams or Black Beaties.