1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stripping and defretting a bass neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fil.bass, Apr 30, 2010.

1. fil.bass

fil.bass

Apr 30, 2010
    Hi there, I'm new to TB so sorry if this is covered elsewhere (point me in the right direction pls!!!). I have built a few instruments in the past (violins and guitars) but one thing I haven't done is defret a bass. I am in the middle of stripping all the lacquer off my Vox standard- the body has not been a problem but when it comes to the neck though I am a bit stuck though. Do I take the frets out before stripping the neck or defret then strip???? In the end I would like a frettless natural (oiled- tung or gun) fingerboard. Read a lot of good advice on this forum and glad to be part of it!!!

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'd probably strip first and defret afterwards, just because the finish will protect the wood underneath in case of slip ups while defretting. On the other hand, defretting first would also work, as you'll have to remove/sand the finish afterward anyway to get a smooth board.

For directions, search or check the stickies at the top of this forum - defretting is a very common mod and has been covered extensively in this forum.

Good luck, eh?

3. Huh? :confused

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    ^^ Oops, good eye Mr. Ruckus, I posted it back-asswards...

5. fil.bass

fil.bass

Apr 30, 2010
    me to! (confused and backwards) Just to be clear- defret or strip first? thanks for the replies

6. SirMatthews

SirMatthews

May 21, 2010
    Angier, NC
    Defretted my Ibanez Soundgear and it was a miracle that I left the finish on the thing during....

7. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    How does that help this topic?

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    You want to remove the frets first, as this will allow you to correct any damage and do fill work during the stripping stage to prepare before beginning the sand and finish stage.